cranks wheezing- Mtbr.com

Thread: cranks wheezing

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009

cranks wheezing

i think i may upgrade my 29er ss, as i have been, little by little. my question is, i have had my ride almost a year now, defenitely an entry level bike (outcast) i am a clydesdale, and lately when i hammer up hill, i notice a straining noise coming from the crank area. i wonder if its the crank, the bottom bracket, or the arms?? and how often does one change out the parts, if they do go? of course, i would change it out to a better brand, thats 4 sure!!

AZ
    banned
    It could be any of the three things you named , or a combination of them all . With out disassembly and servicing its impossible to tell . Definatley time for servicing though . You can do it yourself with the right tools , or your LBS can do it for you . Park Tool web sight has some tech vids that can guide you through the steps to successfully accomplice this on your own . Without knowing what crankset you have I cant tell you what tools you need but the Park Tool site will help with that also .

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    can u steer me towards a decent brand? i love my bike, and i wanna keep it, just a good upgrade will do. a combo set of cranks and bb?

AZ
    banned
    How much money do you want spend ? There are many good quality cranksets available . White Industries , 15 g , Race Face , converted Shimano etc.

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    within reason, just wanna "clydesdale proof" my bike, lololol

AZ
    banned
    Find aused set of Shimano 960 xtr or Shimano xt , there is a couple of threads here about them being used as single speed cranksets .

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Find aused set of Shimano 960 xtr or Shimano xt , there is a couple of threads here about them being used as single speed cranksets .
    Dude, can you not tell the orginal poster just wants to ride his bike and not get into custom cranks? Sounds like he just wants a strong crank, good price. Easy.

Check out Truvativ stylo crank sets in online stores. They are good cranks that are strong, light and cheap. Who said you only have to pick two?

Shimano is better quality, but more money. Id deffinatly recoment it over Truvativ, but they are both good. Check out SLX, LX, or XT cranks.

Not sure whats on your bike now, but a simple rebuild might do the trick. Consider taking it to a shop.

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    will check out the truvativ 4 sure, like i said, its an entry level ride, in a coupla years, will treat myself 2 a top end ss, like the rig, maybe a jabberwocky, etc etc

local trails rider
    How big are you?

I've been running Shimano LX, with bashring for protection and to support the spider and chainring. SLX is the current equivalent.

mtbr member
    For the money I think Shimano cranks are very good. I've had good luck with them anyways.

You can pick up the Shimano SLX double with bash guard for $166 at Jenson. Pull the little chain ring and you're done. Otherwise the LX triple is $100. Pull the top and bottom rings and you're done. Good cranks at a good price.

AZ
    banned
    You can pick up Shimano XT used for $ 60.00 , hard to beat that kind of value . Nothing custom , nothing bling , just solid engineering at an attractive price .

mtbr member
    Shimano xt cranks FTW

Members who have read this thread: 0