Cranks w/ outboard bearings; reviews and install?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cranks w/ outboard bearings; reviews and install?

I was planning to go with the ENO crank with a square taper BB (probably Phil Wood, but I think it requires a special tool) then saw some of the new 2-piece cranks being offered that are coming down in price, specifically the Raceface Dues XC SS (~$150, not sure if cups are included) and the Truvativ Stylo SS GXP ($191, BB cups included).

Can anyone comment/updates on either of those? I've heard some rumbling about bearing life not being up to snuff on the outboard setups.

Also, how do the outboard BB cups install? Is it with the standard park BBT-2 tool used with ISIS BBs or something else? I already have the BBT-2, so if a another specialty tool is needed, that will answer the question for me.

Thanks
    Ventana El Rey - 3x9
    Schwinn High Plains w/ drop bars - 3x8
    Surly Ogre - Alfine 8/SS

mtbr member
    I have about 100 miles on a Deus with no problems at all. Getting it on there took A LOT of torque on that crappy alloy bolt, but no loosening or creaking. They are lots stiffer than my old Isis set up. You need the same tool as for outboard Shimano cups. Thumbs up for Deus.

What day are we riding?

No MTB experience

but I do have a set of FSA Gossamer MegaExo's on my road bike and love them. Smooth and stiff.

Members who have read this thread: 0