Cranks don't last forever- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cranks don't last forever

These were on my SS, I bought them back in 1997 , the left one is cracked in the same spot that the right one broke.

Luckily it broke near the top of the hill so I was able to ride back down with only one crank.. But that was after towing the trailer around pedalling with one leg from log to log clearing deadfall off the trail system.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon

These were on my SS, I bought them back in 1997 , the left one is cracked in the same spot that the right one broke.

Warranty time.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Known Mountainbiker
    Think I should go home and check my cranks for cracks.

Caz

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Those cranks came on my Stumpjumper.
    They're on my wife's Cannondale now (not too worried as she only rides it about twice a year).
    Last edited by CB2; 02-14-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting that....I have a pair of those on my hardtail, and of course DID think they would last forever. I will be inspecting for cracks tonight!

just another bleepin SSer
    It definitely happens...

P3250004-1.JPG
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

Poorly Disguised Poser

No Pictures

but it happened to me too. I had some old Shimano cranks on my SS and the drive arm broke just above the spider.

I tossed them in the recycle bin. I did not even bother to take pics.

I figure I don't want a warranty claim...just want a better and stronger crank. That is pretty much what I do any time I break something...replace it with something better, stronger, and usually heavier.

Glad you did not get hurt.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    Thanks for posting that....I have a pair of those on my hardtail, and of course DID think they would last forever. I will be inspecting for cracks tonight!
    These were the "better" version the Strongarm cranks. my '96 stumpy came with the cheaper "son of strongarm" version which is heavier and didn't have the "S" logo engraved into the crank, I think I bought these on clearance from Nashbar in '96 or '97 when I mangled the original left crank with a cheap crankpuller.

I'm now using the older righthand crank from that original set and a replacement left crank (made by Sugino) that looks identical, I had them in my parts box, I almost gave them away at ACM.. now I'm glad I didn't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Warranty time.

--Sparty
    Yeah.. I wonder how loudly Speciailized would laugh if I tried that one I'll save the warranty calls for the next time my stumpjumper frame cracks....

Look at the time!
    I have the exactly same Specialized cranks sitting somewhere buried in my parts bin. Stopped riding them because they scared me - I'm only 160lbs and they still felt like wet noodles to me.
    Looks like it was a good decision to replace them.

You should post a view from the side so people can see just how THIN they are!
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Yeah the 1 year warranty is gonna be so useful on the 10 year old cranks.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Back in the fall I bought the Crank Brothers Cobolt SL crank set. The bond between the aluminum and stainless steel seperated. They're sweet looking...that is about it. Luckily Crank Brothers has an excellent warranty dept. They sent me a new set which is currently collecting dust.

mtbr member
    I've heard the early Truvativ Stylo's had breakage issues from Webcyclery, but they also said it was cleaned up.

I have some Stylos on a Surly, and was encouraged by one rider to check the serial number and verify w/ Truvativ that they were post-issue, however I never did. Not sure if there was a recall, and if there wasn't, how candid the mfg would be about issues.

G

Members who have read this thread: 0