cranks choice- Mtbr.com

Thread: cranks choice

mtbr member

cranks choice

I have the Truvativ fiveD square-taper SS cranks that came with my bike and they seem to be holding up. however, i have an old pair of Shimano Deore "hollowtech II" square taper arms at the shop that I could fit with my SS ring and use those instead. can anyone compare those cranks for me? i have a feeling that the Deores might be lighter and i would like to shave a little fat off my bike within my budget, which is exactly $0 at the moment.

is there anything else nice about the Deore cranks that i should know? or should i just leave the Truvativs on my bike?
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 11-10-2010 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job! TruVativ 5D vs. Shimano Deore Hollowtech

based on details you provided thus far, quick calculation via the interwebs indicates:

TruVativ 5D crankset (175mm w/ all 3 chainrings) manufactured in years 2001/2002 weigh appx 820 to 825 grams.

Shimano Deore Hollowtech crank arms (175mm length) manufactured in year 2005 weigh about 450 grams (very close to LX and XT of that same year, I would imagine). Now, if this is the same Deore cranks that you are referring to as available from your LBS, I would probably buy them, assuming the price seems fair and reasonable to you. Again, the weight of the Shimano Deore Hollowtech crank arms does not include chainrings - and to be quite honest, I don't even know how much a full set of chainrings would even weigh these days (haven't ridden 'em in forever!) - but having ridden the old style square taper TruVativ Stylo SS cranks several years ago in comparison with my experience of riding both LX Hollowtech and XT Hollowtech cranks in SS mode - I would opt for the Hollowtech cranks 10 out of 10 times. That said, I am not bashing square taper cranks or bottom brackets, just stating my opinion that there are better options in cranks if you prefer to keep your set-up w/ square taper. Keep in mind, by switching over to the Hollowtech design - you would need an Octalink splined bottom bracket, which increases your out-of-pocket cost (but probably makes your LBS even happier and more likely/willing to help w/ installation). *Summary: The Deore Hollowtech cranks are lighter and stiffer than TruVativ 5D. Assuming weight and stiffness are both priority concerns for you, and pricing seems fair/reasonable from your LBS - grab the Hollowtech cranks and give those 5D cranks to someone else who might want to give SS a try! Just my 2-cents.
    EL_MATADOR

mtbr member
    thanks Mat. the Deore cranks are square tapers, forgot to mention that. the crank arms in question are used and just lying in a spare parts bin, so the price is right- FREE.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 11-10-2010 at 06:28 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Grab those FREE cranks now!

Octalink BB's are available online (including fleaBay) for dirt-cheap. A friend of mine bought an LX Octalink BB recently for $7.
    EL_MATADOR

Members who have read this thread: 0