crank question- Mtbr.com

Thread: crank question

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

crank question

i'm sure this is a dumb question so i apologize in advance but i searched and couldnt really find an answer. why dont we use bmx style cranks on singlespeed mtb? wouldnt the ability to use the smaller chainrings offer more clearance?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    weight penalty is a major reason i would think any way. also you are then getting into micro drive set up which wears very fast.
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a set of Crupi Rhythm Pro's on my Bianchi right now. Very solid and stiff. A little wider then most MTB cranks and way over built.

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    those look nice but arent they the same bcd as most mtb cranks? whats the smallest ring you can run? i was interested in the idea of being able to run a smaller ring like the bmx guys do. anyone else seen or done it? or have an opinion?

i found a thread on pinkbike talking about this subject in case anyone else is interested
    Last edited by bgblue1978; 04-13-2010 at 07:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Some people do.

I think it's mainly due to the fact that mountain bikes are more comfortable with MTB gear as that's what they're familiar with.

There's also a school of thought that says you should use bigger rings to get more chain wrap. You tend to exert a lot more force grinding up that last bit of a hill at less than walking pace than you ever do on a BMX.

Members who have read this thread: 0