Crank question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crank question

KRN
    mtbr member

Crank question

can anyone tell me of some decent cranks for my SS at a decent price? I dont have alot of money! Any advice out there? thanks!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    these are pretty sweet FSA V-Drive Armset. Beefy ISIS drive, cromo pedal inserts and FSA quality. I know it doesn;t come with a ring(s), but rings are cheap and even if it did come with the 3 ring setup you;d probably still have to buy a nice SS single. Good luck.

Not because I'm fast.....

Sugino XD300

Quote Originally Posted by KRN
    can anyone tell me of some decent cranks for my SS at a decent price? I dont have alot of money! Any advice out there? thanks!
    Take a look at the Sugino XD300. Very affordable and Nice!

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CR1033

get down!
    I was just looking for a crankset too... wanted it to be under $100. I also didn't want an ISIS drive because they are unreliable relative to the square taper design and proprietary bearing systems from shimano, fsa, etc.

The sugino is a great square taper crank for cheap, I ended up getting myself a nice set of race face turbine crankarms from ebay for $73, and a shimano square taper BB for $20.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I was just looking for a crankset too... wanted it to be under $100. I also didn't want an ISIS drive because they are unreliable relative to the square taper design and proprietary bearing systems from shimano, fsa, etc.

The sugino is a great square taper crank for cheap, I ended up getting myself a nice set of race face turbine crankarms from ebay for $73, and a shimano square taper BB for $20.
    That is exactly what my suggestion would have been! Enjoy them!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    cjh_mtb][/b]

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    That is exactly what my suggestion would have been! Enjoy them!
    WOW, square taper on a SS bike.?.? I would think this bad for a bike that requires so much torque on the cranks. Why wasn;t this covered in the FAQ??? Grrrrrrrr

It would appear I have alot to learn about this singlespeed thing. I anxiously await my further lessons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    [/i]

WOW, square taper on a SS bike.?.? I would think this bad for a bike that requires so much torque on the cranks. Why wasn;t this covered in the FAQ??? Grrrrrrrr

It would appear I have alot to learn about this singlespeed thing. I anxiously await my further lessons.
    I think you will be surprised at how many peaple here still run square taper cranks. I have square taper Race Face cranks (180) on my SS, and ISIS ones on my geary, and I can't tell the difference! Until I pulled the cranks off my geary and felt the shot bearings that don't want to turn! I think simplicity and durability are the major reasons for still running square taper cranks, oh yeah, and price!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

square taper superiority

If your bike is just for show, isis is fine. If you really ride the dern thing, and like to buy bottom brackets a few times a year, isis is for you. If you stop and carry your bike around any mud or water, isis it is. If repacking tiny little bearing cartridges is your idea of a fun weekly activity with the kids, I highly recommend isis bottom brackets.
    THEY'RE THE BEST!!!!!

***sarcasm off***

The advantage to square taper is the size of the bearings that will fit between the spindle and the shell. 1/4" bearings with good seals will last much longer than anything they can squeeze between a normal bb shell and a huge spindle. And if Campagnolo can be credited with knowing anything about engineering, square taper is not measureably more flexible. ***rant on**** isis is pure marketing hype, along with 32mm handlebars, tubeless tires, carbon seatstays, aluminum frames twist shifterstriggershiftersderailleurslycrasaddlespeda ls

ok, got a little carried away
    Lasciate Ogne Speranza, Voi Ch'Intrate
    ~Dante