Crank opinions- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crank opinions

mtbr member

Crank opinions

I have been comtemplating changing out my cranks. I have loved the look of the RF turbines since I first set my eyes on them. I already know that I do not want to get the ISIS configuration. The new XTs look appealing too. Anyhow, I have narrowed down my decision to either the new XTs, RF Turbines, or the White Ind. Opinions? Other suggestions? One think I don't like about the Shimanos is the way they make the crankarms flare, they rub against the riders shoe, which eventually wears off the paint and gives it a bad look. I haven't seen a set of Turbines do this. I am limiting my budget to about $200.

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

I am the owl
    Been very happy w/ my RF Turbines mated to the RF BB.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member

...and I am...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    or the White Ind. Opinions? Other suggestions? One think I don't like about the Shimanos is the way they make the crankarms flare, they rub against the riders shoe, which eventually wears off the paint and gives it a bad look. I haven't seen a set of Turbines do this. I am limiting my budget to about $200.
    ...very happy with the ENO cranks. I do have other cranks I converted, like an old Shimano LX and a Spot ring, a Sugino and a BMX 110 ring, and a very old Shimano Altus with another BMX ring, and the 4 hole Shimanl LX, and the Spot ring. But the ENO lacks in a lot of parts, and that's why I like it. The drive side crank arm is just the crank, chainring, and lockring. Simple.

jrm
    mtbr member

Truvativ Stylo Team

I have been comtemplating changing out my cranks. I have loved the look of the RF turbines since I first set my eyes on them. I already know that I do not want to get the ISIS configuration. The new XTs look appealing too. Anyhow, I have narrowed down my decision to either the new XTs, RF Turbines, or the White Ind. Opinions? Other suggestions? One think I don't like about the Shimanos is the way they make the crankarms flare, they rub against the riders shoe, which eventually wears off the paint and gives it a bad look. I haven't seen a set of Turbines do this. I am limiting my budget to about $200.
    can be had for alot less than $200

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ...very happy with the ENO cranks. I do have other cranks I converted, like an old Shimano LX and a Spot ring, a Sugino and a BMX 110 ring, and a very old Shimano Altus with another BMX ring, and the 4 hole Shimanl LX, and the Spot ring. But the ENO lacks in a lot of parts, and that's why I like it. The drive side crank arm is just the crank, chainring, and lockring. Simple.
    Does the ENO use the same mating pattern as the XTR did?
    Can you mount a rock guard on the ENO?

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

KgB
    SNGLSPD

xt

I like the xt's but you are right about rubbing issues.
    I just changed my BB very little play after 2 1/2 years.20.00 replacement.
    I've been inside too long.

try driving your car less

gives me a headachec

whenever i smoke crank i get a headache. dont know about XT or any of that stuff you guys get in texas. i just get plain ol crank. i got into it the first time on a bus ride from oakland to gilroy. garlic capital of the world. if i ever find that ******* that stole my beer while i was wanking in the bathroom in the back of the bus, i will tear his friggin heart out and make him eat it...

edit: oh, you mean for a bike... i have race face square taper on one bike: works like a charm. older XTR m952 on another bike and also works great. i wasted the BB and found a new one for like $25. super cheap for some really nice stuff. just get the arms and one of the spiders and you are good to go.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

not hard at all

Does the ENO use the same mating pattern as the XTR did?
    Can you mount a rock guard on the ENO?
    no, you can't mount one.