Crank life?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crank life?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Crank life?

I'm using some old Ritchey 110/74 cranks with a UN72 BB. I wonder if I should be concerned about their age or if they might fail on me. I've had them since new, around 95 (?) or so. They have spent a year or two in the parts bin and I have several bikes so they aren't ridden too much. I weigh 140 lbs and never break things. No big air but lots of technical and rocky trails. BTW, I'm using it as a dual speed, a 34 and 36 ring with a 22 and 20 cog. Voodoo Dambala rigid 29er.

How long can I safely keep using them? Your thoughts? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky rode
    At your weight and riding style......probably the rest of your life.

i don't give a shift
    How does forever sound to you? From a material standpoint an aluminum crank doesn't have a fixed lifespan after which you should discard it.

mtbr member

Listen! Technically speaking....

Quote Originally Posted by rocky rode
    With square taper cranks, the lifespan is dictated by the inner surface of the flats. When there is no more 'virgin' space on the flats (when the spindle is flush with the end of the opening in the crankarm) it will be time to replace the arms if they start to loosen. What this says is that you don't want to remove them unnecessarily, and keep them properly torqued - (each time they go on again, they go on a little further; Shimano recommends 28-32 ft lb torque rating). Also, when you do re-place them on the spindle, I always put them on a clean dry spindle. Never grease the spindle on square taper cranks, it enables them to go on further, thereby shortening their lifespan.

Members who have read this thread: 0