Crank Length on S.S.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Crank Length on S.S.

I am riding a S.S. 29er that is my favorite bike ever. Anyway, I rode with a guy on a geared 26er yesterday and he kicked my a$$. Aside from not having any legs when apparently he was simply warming up. He seemed to think that moving from 175mm to 180mm cranks would help me keep up. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I really doubt it. I would focus on gearing before buying new cranks that are only 5 mm longer. I have ridden both and i could not tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by c7train
    I am riding a S.S. 29er that is my favorite bike ever. Anyway, I rode with a guy on a geared 26er yesterday and he kicked my a$$. Aside from not having any legs when apparently he was simply warming up. He seemed to think that moving from 175mm to 180mm cranks would help me keep up. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Noted, Thanks. I am running 32-20 set up, what do you think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It really depends where you are riding? I live in colorado and running 32x19 and that seems to be the magic number for most rides. A few races i might gear down to an 18 but.......

Was this guy leaving you in the dust on the climbs or the flat/semi flat sections? Once you gear out and you are riding with geared guys you are usually going to be left behind if they are pretty strong riders.

It all boils down to, " Do you mind walking a few sections to be faster every where else?"
    I hate walking so i decided i would work on my high cadence spinning and try to make up for running out of gear rather than gearing down and walking certain sections.

Noted, Thanks. I am running 32-20 set up, what do you think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That helps a ton, I can keep the cadence up pretty well, but I don't mind walking a bit so maybe I'll try the 19 or 18. He was walking away on the flats, hills and tech stuff I felt as though I was keeping up OK.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I will warn you ahead of time. 2 teeth is a rude awakening at first and it will seem like you are starting all over again. You adjust to it fairly quick but first impression....Ouch

That helps a ton, I can keep the cadence up pretty well, but I don't mind walking a bit so maybe I'll try the 19 or 18. He was walking away on the flats, hills and tech stuff I felt as though I was keeping up OK.

Apr 2007
    Of COURSE he took you on the flats with a geared bike. Given the same rider, geared will always win. Look at the pros. Not sure if there are any that actually choose to ride a ss, but none have finished on the podium. You don't ride ss to win races. At least I don't. SS-only category excluded, of course.

It's like racing the same two cars, but having to leave it in one gear in one car---you will either get burned at the start or up top, depending on the gear you choose.

Members who have read this thread: 0