Crank Length?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crank Length?

mtbr member

Crank Length?

This has probably been asked before, but I'm curious on opinions on crank arm length.

How much difference has anyone here noticed when going from at 175 to 180 crank-arms on a SS?

Obviously there would be more leverage on the climbs, but is it actually enough to warrant a crank arm change-out?

And is there a noticeable spin factor difference on the flats?

If you run a 180 on your SS, are you running the same length on your other bikes?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but I've got another SS in the works, and I'm getting ready to work out the drive train.

Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Discussed just a few hundred times

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=1246543
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I prefer 180's on all my MTBs. The leverage I find handy to get going after stall-out conditions, (such as repositioning the front wheel for some technical concern). Otherwise, as SHiggy has noted, the topic has been visited numerous times before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    I prefer 180's on all my MTBs. The leverage I find handy to get going after stall-out conditions, (such as repositioning the front wheel for some technical concern). Otherwise, as SHiggy has noted, the topic has been visited numerous times before.
    Thanks,

Should have scrolled down first, but I appreciate the info. I'm going to give em a try on my new/old SS re-build.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by JamR
    Thanks,

Should have scrolled down first, but I appreciate the info. I'm going to give em a try on my new/old SS re-build.
    if the price is the same, i guess i will take 180s over the 175s but otherwise, i dont worry about it. i currently have 3 singlespeeds, two of which have 180s, one has 175s.

That's gonna leave a mark
    I have used 175's on all of my MTB's. Then I got a Stinky Primo a couple years ago which came with 170's. HATED THEM! Just not enough leverage on the climbs, and felt like I was pedaling in tiny little circles. Swapped the crankset out in short order.

My first SS was with 175's. All was good. Decided to try 180's on my second SS and really liked the change. After riding the old SS and comparing the two, I'm now a firm believer in 180's. Doesn't bother me a bit when spinning 120+ rpm on the flats.

The only reason I stayed with the 175's for the rest of the stable was 1) too expensive to switch them out, and 2) I can always pedal an easier gear.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

you said.. Member

Crank Length?

< humor >

Standard Whiteboy Issued 6.25"

< /humor >
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Members who have read this thread: 0