Crank Conversions 3X VS 2X- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Crank Conversions 3X VS 2X

I've recently started riding a SS and enjoy it. I'm thinking about changing out my crank at some point, just cause. I'd like to use a Shimano crankset, I've had great experience with the external bottom bracket. Would converting a new 3X10 be the way to go or would a 2X10 be better? The BCD appears to be 104 on both, aside from the small ring. The difference in chainline is 50mm vs 48.8mm, this seems negligible to me, but I've never set up a single speed. I wish Shimano made a SS specific crank other than the Saint, too heavy. I'm also thinking about the E13, any input on that?

mtbr member
    Do you have a cassette body or a free wheel? If you have a cassette body then it's no problem just get which ever crank is cheaper or whatever one you like better, you can adjust the chainline out back with spacers to get a good chain line. If you have a freewheel then you're pretty much stuck with the chainline of the hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a freehub, hadn't thought about being able to adjust the position of the cog. Maybe I'll start looking for a external bearing crank, like that setup better.

Members who have read this thread: 0