Crank/chainring question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Crank/chainring question

So I spent several hours in the garage tinkering last night, and have a functional SS, thanks to a Gusset SS conversion kit (which required some machining, as it is designed for a 8/9 speed cassette, and I'm working with a 7).

My first attempt at assembly (no tensioner) I used a 16T rear cog, and there was too much slack. This exposed a strange condition of the chainrings on this Alivio crank; the chainrings have some shorter teeth inline with the cranks (presumably to aid shifting?), and when the slightly-slack chain hit these teeth, it would slip. I reassembled with the 18 tooth cog, and the shortened chain fit is nearly perfect(!).

By this time it was raining and 12:30 am, so I took a quick spin around the cul-de-sac and pronounced it good for now. I do know I want to replace the cranks and chainring with something more stout, but I'm doing this on the cheap, so I don't want to upgrade the BB. It seems most of the cranks available at the shops and on ebay are ISIS. Anyone happen to have some old 175 square-taper cranks (and chainring) they want to part with?

Thanks for the info and inspiration. Pics to come soon.

Jim

brother on a mission
    Deore cranks still come in square taper I believe. Not too much $$.
    Sorry I do not have any used cranks.

Steamroller
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    I do know I want to replace the cranks and chainring with something more stout, but I'm doing this on the cheap, so I don't want to upgrade the BB. It seems most of the cranks available at the shops and on ebay are ISIS. Anyone happen to have some old 175 square-taper cranks (and chainring) they want to part with?

Thanks for the info and inspiration. Pics to come soon.

Jim
    Hi Jim, A lot of geary chainrings have those shorter teeth to aid shifting. I made the newbie mistake of asking at the shop if I had gotten a defective ring on a bike once.

I'll keep my eyes open for cranks for you, I just scored some 175 White Bros cranks cheap on ebay. The deals are out there, especially if you are ok with used stuff.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

brother on a mission
    Hello Jim,

I just remembered a recent thread where someone was upset with their STX cranks. From the postings in the thread it sounds like he may want to get rid of them.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=97060

Steamroller

Here's an option

These Dotecks are about $30 brand new through Dans Comp. http://www.danscomp.com/

There are also some various 175 square taper on ebay. I have 3 possible cranks that would work well for you, but they are all octalink.........unless you talk me out of the White Bros.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    Hi Jim, A lot of geary chainrings have those shorter teeth to aid shifting. I made the newbie mistake of asking at the shop if I had gotten a defective ring on a bike once.

I'll keep my eyes open for cranks for you, I just scored some 175 White Bros cranks cheap on ebay. The deals are out there, especially if you are ok with used stuff.
    Thanks, Matt. Definitely OK with used. I'll keep my eyes open as well.

bon vivant
    Mar 2004

STX cranks

Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    Thanks, Matt. Definitely OK with used. I'll keep my eyes open as well.
    PM me your address, I have a pair of STX and a pair of forged Suginos I'll give you your choice.