mtbr member

Cracked Kona Unit dropout?

I was just pulling down my unit after 300km of very muddy solo 24 racing when I noticed something odd with my drive side drop out (the non sliding bit). There is a hair line crack about 15mm long (not sure what that in inches). Anyone got any thoughts? Ride it until I end up on my ass?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Over the Hill
    In is a steel frame? and I am not an expert, but we fixed many broken machines parts in the woods by drilling a hole at the end of the crack and welding it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    In is a steel frame? and I am not an expert, but we fixed many broken machines parts in the woods by drilling a hole at the end of the crack and welding it.
    Yep it is a steel frame. It is a 2004 frame, that has only been ridden since the start of the year (sat in a shop for a year).

Do Kona warranty frames?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I see........

Quote Originally Posted by positron
    Yep it is a steel frame. It is a 2004 frame, that has only been ridden since the start of the year (sat in a shop for a year).

Do Kona warranty frames?
    No reason that You should have a problem getting that warrentied(sp?) No way would I weld it Myself when You can get a new frame for free.
    Last edited by gearless; 10-13-2005 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Shortcutting Hikabiker

Do Kona warranty frames?
    Kona has a 4 year warranty, and if they won't warranty it for some reason like you aren't the original owner or something go and get it welded.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I made the mistake of knowingly riding a cracked steel bike (driveside chainstay behind the bb) exactly once. When it gave way it wasn't pretty, it wasn't fun, and it was a long walk home. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Yours is broke.

mtbr member

Do Kona warranty frames?
    Should do, I know of a couple of others that have had frames replaced here.

mtbr member

Yes.

Do Kona warranty frames?
    I warrantied a 1999 Kaboom frame in the fall of 2002. The frame cracked on the downtube just below the headtube. Kona warrantied the frame without any problems.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Page Kona Joe on the Kona forum, he can get you started on a warranty claim or at least let you know how to proceed.

Members who have read this thread: 0