A couple custom Single Speed Builds: IRO and Niner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

A couple custom Single Speed Builds: IRO and Niner

I am long time Clydesdale mountain biker that has spent the last few months falling in love with the whole single-speed thing. It started out innocently enough... my son is a cross-country racer and I made a resolution at the beginning of the year to get in shape enough to ride with him again. After numerous rides where I had to load all my gear and bike and haul it to the office every time I wanted to ride, I thought it made more sense to just use one of our office bikes here in Boulder Colorado. We already had several office bikes, but they were all for littler people. I am 6'6" and we have several guys that are 6'2" and above, so it made sense to get one for us big guys. I found an IRO Single speed for sale from a guy at Google down the street, and picked it up for a song. It needed a lot of attention but I was happy to jump in, as most days it was too cold and dark in the evenings to ride anyway.

Here's some pics of the evolution of the "Company" XL IRO Single speed!

A couple custom Single Speed Builds: IRO and Niner-ttd_bike_evolution.jpg

On to part two:

As the weather started getting warmer, I started spending more and more time on the company Single Speed and less and less on my fully geared and suspended Cross Country rig. I started going out at lunch up Boulder Canyon, then Fourmile Canyon, farther and farther each time over my lunch hour. There was something about the suffering of climbing 800-1100 feet on a fully rigid single speed that I grew to love... the simplicity, the efficiency? I really don't know, but the physical benefits were obvious... I started this journey at 270 lbs, and by mid-march I was already down to 255. As a big guy, climbing has ALWAYS been the weakest part of biking for me, so this allowed me to focus 100% on that. Here's a link to the route that I like to take of any of you are in Boulder..

SO, turns out I became pretty possessive of this rig, but other guys wanted to start using it too. Time to build my OWN!

Fast forward a month, and I built a Single Speed out of old parts I had lying around and some stuff I bought from Craigslist and local shops. I started riding it around April, and it was just never quite good enough. I don't have any pics of the early version of my bike, but the frame is still the same... an XXL 9. I finally pulled out all the stops, got a Niner carbon through-axle front fork, painted the frame to match, got some lightweight Mavics, carbon bars, Thomson stem, running a 16t rear and 32 front crank using a Singleator. Here it is in current form, weighing in just UNDER 21 pounds, which is pretty light for a 23" XXL niner frame. I am pretty proud of this, and also the additional 15 pounds I have lost since I built it.

A couple custom Single Speed Builds: IRO and Niner-niner_xl_ss.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A couple custom Single Speed Builds: IRO and Niner-ttd_bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    ---

Downcountry AF
    I want to work where you work, any openings?

Nice bikes!! cool story. I always enjoy hearing peoples first impressions of SS and how quickly they get hooked.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks! And yeah, it's a really cool place to work, voted by Outside magazine as best place to work several years running....

We have a bunch of openings... would love to have more cyclists in the office.

Downcountry AF
    ^ cool. I won my last race on my SS, should i include that on my resume? I'm otherwise unqualified, do you need a janitor? perhaps we could create a new position for me like "lunchtime riding buddy"?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.