Couldn't pull the trigger- Mtbr.com
    surly inbred

Couldn't pull the trigger

It's been a loooong time since I was in a position to be thinking about adding bikes. My rigid Inbred is the nuts, but I've been keyed in on a second bike for those long days or where I might want to get frisky on some New England rocks. It's been a tedious process searching & waiting for the right bike. Last night on Fleabay I had the chance to bring it home & I couldn't hit the go button.

I sez to myself, **** that's a lot of money for a 'some days' bike. Do I really want a squishy ass sled? My riding has never been more rewarding than on the ss, do I really want to leave it home? I could build a pretty sweet 2nd ss with a sissy fork for less than that.

Hooked.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Or you could just buy the fork and an extra crown race. With threadless headsets, you can swap out a fork in a matter of minutes.

mtbr member
    Yup. Well reasoned.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Are you saying that you only ride rigid? Cause yes, you should have one some suspenders for the switch up.

Out spokin'
    No rocks in the photo. Just ride that section.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Or you could just buy the fork and an extra crown race. With threadless headsets, you can swap out a fork in a matter of minutes.
    Except for the brake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Question is, how do you feel now? Are you kicking yourself for not pulling the trigger? If not, you're hooked!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver
    Except for the brake.
    Two M6 bolts? Another minute, at most...

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver
    Except for the brake.
    Don't tell anyone, but I keep a bb7 and cable mounted on each of my forks. I can probably make the swap in about five minutes, have the brake pads adjusted to my liking in another three.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Don't tell anyone, but I keep a bb7 and cable mounted on each of my forks. I can probably make the swap in about five minutes, have the brake pads adjusted to my liking in another three.
    Another beautiful thing about BB7s! I completely agree with CB2, it's what I'm doing.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Heck, spring for one more lever and use lock-on grips and you would never have to adjust the brakes when swapping either

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Heck, spring for one more lever and use lock-on grips and you would never have to adjust the brakes when swapping either
    That has to take longer. It isn't hard to swap cables...?

mtbr member
    That has to take longer. It isn't hard to swap cables...?
    Yeah, I misunderstood what you said

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Yeah, I misunderstood what you said
    You're all over doing that today...

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I played fork swaparoo last season. 4:15 flat & I gots hydros.

Are you saying that you only ride rigid?
    So far this season, yes. I have a 130mm coil u-turn Rev that just isn't happening on the Inbred no matter what I tweak. I like rigid. A lot.

I would still like to establish ass sled #2 with a few things in mind...

• That Rev would match up nicely with something. I just don't have any other parts to go with it.
    • I learned I don't like ss in the winter snow.
    • I really want something pedally for those 3 weeks between winter & spring for 'road season'
    • Some days I want to ride from home. Dingle?
    • I've developed a problem with spendy bikes. $3-4k does not buy me swervy trail nirvana.
    • I've still no use for wagon wheels & prefer to spec bikes with interchangeable parts

Sparty's uber swanky rig is sweet & what I had in mind originally... two completely different sleds. At the same time I'd like to throw a 100mm air on a 1x1 & call it a day. I can always derailleur the Inbred for off seasons. Regardless, I was surprised at myself for backing off the big purchase.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think it is awesome to doge the purchase. That being said, I have a fixed cross bike, a SS Monocog (26"- mostly used for commuting and carrying ****), a SS Monocog Flight (26") that does suspension duties during the summer and a 1x9 29er weird **** that I use for getting across town to trails, logging roads and **** like that. Variety does help some.

But... I am not sure if all your wants align. Part of me is saying you should get a 1x# and equip it with different tires/forks depending on the season. My 1x9 usually has wider cross tires on it and is rigid, but I could see using it with some suspension and fat tires during the summer at some point. Or you can find two or three more bikes?

surly inbred
    Part of me is saying you should get a 1x# and equip it with different tires/forks depending on the season.
    I'm fairly certain that I will soon regret not hanging on to my 456 frame.

mtbr member
    TroutBum,
    Where in New England is that picture from.

Apr 2007
    Rode suspension most of last year. First ride this year was rigid. Now back to suspension and I have a feeling the rigid fork will gather dust all season. My second bike is rigid, but has a Larry, so doesn't really count.

Do the plush.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Rode suspension most of last year. First ride this year was rigid. Now back to suspension and I have a feeling the rigid fork will gather dust all season. My second bike is rigid, but has a Larry, so doesn't really count.

Do the plush.
    Wait a minute friend... I just went back to rigid and as they say at McDonalds, I'm lovin' it.

Couple caveats...
    1) I'm talking on my singlespeed. As everyone knows, while I love SS-ing, I've got other bikes... these all have sissy forks
    2) Here in beautiful downtown Orygun we're tweening, seasonwise. It's no longer winter but it's not yet summer. Once summer arrives, it'll bring access to the high country and the long, flowy, rippin' descents that can only be enjoyed to their fullest when your bars are not constantly being rattled from your hands. Helloooo susPENshun!

But meanwhile rigidity can be fun too, eh. Just sayin'.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0