Could you tell the difference..- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

Could you tell the difference..

Could you tell the difference with a left side crank arm that is 1 mm longer than the right. Recently I took an interest (meaning I had to have one) in the old Stronglight star pattern crank. Then on ebay I found this Stronglight track crank arm. I will fit beautifully on my SS Peugeot. No one else bid on it so I got it for a song plus shipping. . Any way it left me with the need for a 170mm left side crank. I went to my LBS who had this beautiful Sugino crank arm. Only one problem; its 171mm. I can't imagine it would make any difference, but I figured I throw it out anyway for other opinions; paging Peter Verdone

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    I dont think you could tell the difference. Changes are your legs are more than 1mm different in length.

Custom User Title
    Hey Brad, Why don't you just grind 1mm of the end?

Poorly Disguised Poser

probably never notice...

but it would always haunt the back of my mind....and then drive me to get matched arms.

It is a good point that your legs are probably at least that much different...but would this cancel it out, or make the difference worse (i.e. shorter arm on the side with the longer leg).

I guess it really depends on how much you are going to ride it.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

wot no bike?
    That's a cool lookin crank. What's "1G1G" mean?
    pete

Retro Grouch

What's "1G1G" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    That's a cool lookin crank. What's "1G1G" mean?
    one God, one gear..

Brad

In FTF We Trust
    Funny story (it's related). In 2001 I bought a new Kona Stinky. I upgraded a bunch of components-drivetrain, disc brakes, etc. and rode the beans out of it for 4 or 5 months. One day I was giving it the once-over and noticed that it had a 175mm right crank arm and a 172.5mm left crank arm. The LBS called Kona who refered us to Truvativ, who sent out a complete new (proper) crankset. The moral-I must not be that sensitive to the difference between the crank arms; it's worth a shot for you if the Sugino is cheap.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Retro Grouch

Great story..

Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Funny story (it's related). In 2001 I bought a new Kona Stinky. I upgraded a bunch of components-drivetrain, disc brakes, etc. and rode the beans out of it for 4 or 5 months. One day I was giving it the once-over and noticed that it had a 175mm right crank arm and a 172.5mm left crank arm. The LBS called Kona who refered us to Truvativ, who sent out a complete new (proper) crankset. The moral-I must not be that sensitive to the difference between the crank arms; it's worth a shot for you if the Sugino is cheap.
    It was onIy was $8 and I snapped it up.

Brad

Harrumph
    You should actually throw a tape on the two, I'd bet the claimed measurement is not accurate within 1mm. But maybe your the "princess and the pea" kind of person and can tell.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    With any luck you're like millions of other people that has one leg longer than the other (walking legs, not the other one ..... perv! ) and it won't make a difference.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    I can't imagine it would make any difference, but I figured I throw it out anyway for other opinions

It won't make any difference, and I doubt that you will notice.

Sounds like a good deal.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I'd never know the difference.

Out spokin'
    Brad, nobody can feel a difference of 1mm between their cranks. Honest. Nobody. If it did not say "171mm," you never would have known.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    you won't feel the difference, but psychologically, you're not going to let this one go

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    #1, it will make absolutely, positively no difference. #2, measure the actual length from inside the spindle hole to inside the pedal hole. This may ease your mind. #3, put a 1mm shim under your cleat if it really bothers you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    it's more than 1/2 a percent difference. most seasoned single speeders can feel that variation. adding a shim would only make your pedal stroke in line on the down stroke and 2mm higher on the upstroke. let's not make his problem even bigger than it already is!

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i can feel the difference between 170 and 172.5 crank arms. this might be possible to notice, or worse, it's so slight that you don't really noice, but at the end of a long ride one leg is more sore than the other or something. on the other hand you'll probably be fine and if it were me, i'd just give it a shot, and see what happens.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Garbage. Measure a bunch of cranks and I bet you'll find a variation of more than 1mm. Manufacturing tolerances aren't that close. I said add a shim only to ease his mind. Nothing needs to be done, nada, zilch. It's a non-issue unless the OP or anyone else wants to make it one.

Art is Resistance
    one God, one gear..

Brad

What should i say if i'm into many gods and only one Gear? It's much less catchy.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Could you tell the difference with a left side crank arm that is 1 mm longer than the right. Recently I took an interest (meaning I had to have one) in the old Stronglight star pattern crank. Then on ebay I found this Stronglight track crank arm. I will fit beautifully on my SS Peugeot. No one else bid on it so I got it for a song plus shipping. . Any way it left me with the need for a 170mm left side crank. I went to my LBS who had this beautiful Sugino crank arm. Only one problem; its 171mm. I can't imagine it would make any difference, but I figured I throw it out anyway for other opinions; paging Peter Verdone

1G1G, Brad
    I have one leg shorter than the other, so I have played around with crank lengths extensively on both legs. I can tell the difference if it is 5mm. 2.5mm, I thought I MAY have, but it was so slight that it could have been psychological.

1mm? Are you kidding me? There is NO WAY someone is going to detect a 1mm difference. Nor is it going to cause you any problems. As others have said, you have greater variation in many other places. I would be interested to see the variation in similarly labeled cranks. Your shoes could vary that much in the thickness of the soles. Your legs are probably at least that much different.

I would not think twice about using it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I used to have a cannondale mtb that I ss'ed to commute on and discovered after putting ~1700 miles on it that I had a 175 right crankarm/172.5 left. I know I wouldn't notice 1mm.

Retro Grouch

polytheistic, but one gear?

Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    What should i say if i'm into many gods and only one Gear? It's much less catchy.
    okay that didn't work. Okay, okay I know

Many Gods but only one gear..no you're right it is not as catchy, sorry

Brad

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The spider almost looks jewish...
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

Retro Grouch

I guess???

Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    The spider almost looks jewish...
    As much as a 5 pointed star looks like a 6 pointed star.

Brad

Art is Resistance
    okay that didn't work. Okay, okay I know

Many Gods but only one gear..no you're right it is not as catchy, sorry

Brad

How about 0G1G? That may flow better. Is less better? Then i win!

Unless there's some atheistic unicyclist in here....

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    my first GF sugar came with a 175 and a 170 arm combo. never noticed it until i replaced the BB 2 years later.
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I rode a bike for a couple of months before i was informed they'd be incorrectly sent out with mismatched 175 and 170mm arms! I would have thought i'd notice but i didn't.... it was also a Kona btw, a Unit, but apparently it was Raceface's mistake.

mtbr member
    yeah i think 3 out of 4 have different leg lengths. If you don't notice it, then nobody else will either.
    Singlespeed since September 24, 2006.

Members who have read this thread: 0