Could my brakes be too strong for my sliders?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Could my brakes be too strong for my sliders?

My last SS frame had sliders and they were either ruined by me or were defective. I always made sure they were at around 10 ft/lbs. Could it be the hydro discs putting all that torque on the slider that made it go oval? Might be a crazy question, but I don't want to go through another frame.. Yes, my new frame has sliders also.

Do I need to go with more torque on the bolts? I've heard that I need to throw out the bolts that come with the bike and go with the hardened bolts from the hardware store. Do I need to go with a cable disc brake that may not be quite as strong? Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Hard to answer that without more detail.

I have a Lynskey with sliders that I have replaced the button head bolts with socket head stainless. Those little button heads just get buggered with one wrenching so I took extra precaution with the larger headed bolts.
    I did retain the double washer as I think this helps counter act the bolts from loosening.
    I torque mine to 25nm and do check them regularly, but have not found them loose.

aka baycat
    Not one problem with hydraulic brakes (160mm rear) and Paragon sliders on my bike over the last two years

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Was your prior frame a KHS Solo one SE by chance? I have read numerous reports from people using frames that have "paragon style" but not actual Paragon slider dropouts claiming that their dropouts have deformed. The common description seems to be that that the slider slot deforms into a kidney bean shape.

I think it's because of the way the seatstay and chainstay attach to the dropout causing it to kind of cantilever out the back. Take a look at the rear dropout on the Spot frame in the thread titled "See Spot Run", it attempts to remedy this problem.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=604119

Members who have read this thread: 0