mtbr member

Converting a vintage SS MTB to more of a cyclocross rig?

I've been talking a bit with a buddy (who got me into SS) about the idea of him getting a road bike. Since I know how his attention wanders from one month to the next, I told him to look into a cyclo-X bike for street riding, fire roads, and rigid SS. He'd be able to switch it up with less investment that multiple bikes.

So this got me thinking about the below SS of mine. It has more of a road bike geometry and have been using it as a commuter anyway, so I and have a couple questions:

Would this be a decent candidate for a commuter/CX conversion?
    Handlebars - Should I be using CX-specific dropbars or will any el-cheapo drops work?
    Stem - Mountain or would a road stem work?
    Gearing - Thinking somewhere around 44x18t
    Tires - Ditch the 26x2.0 Pythons for 26x1.75 semi-slicks (something more suited for road than trail)?

Any other advice/input appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by zanq; 06-22-2005 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job! dirt drops or Bell lap

Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    I've been talking a bit with a buddy (who got me into SS) about the idea of him getting a road bike. Since I know how his attention wanders from one month to the next, I told him to look into a cyclo-X bike for street riding, fire roads, and rigid SS. He'd be able to switch it up with less investment that multiple bikes.

So this got me thinking about the below SS of mine. It has more of a road bike geometry and have been using it as a commuter anyway, so I and have a couple questions:

Would this be a decent candidate for a commuter/CX conversion?
    Handlebars - Should I be using CX-specific dropbars or will any el-cheapo drops work?
    Stem - Mountain or would a road stem work?
    Gearing - Thinking somewhere around 44x18t
    Tires - Ditch the 26x2.0 Pythons for 26x1.75 semi-slicks (something more suited for road than trail)?

Any other advice/input appreciated! Thanks!
    I'd say that it does look like a good mt/cross bike canidate. I would suggest dirtdrops, though I hear that the new Midge by on-one is very similiar and availible. I believe the midge should work with your mtbike stem, it looks like you have some good length and height for your bars already. The Salsa bell lap is another nice cross bar, but it would need a new road stem and would be a little more road bikeish. You would also need new levers, probably the diacomp set that will work with v-brakes, both the bar and the levers should be available through web cyclery. Most people I've seen run dirt drop type handle bars, run a shorter high rise stem, maybe find a cheapey stem if you want to experement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    I'd say that it does look like a good mt/cross bike canidate. I would suggest dirtdrops, though I hear that the new Midge by on-one is very similiar and availible. I believe the midge should work with your mtbike stem, it looks like you have some good length and height for your bars already. The Salsa bell lap is another nice cross bar, but it would need a new road stem and would be a little more road bikeish. You would also need new levers, probably the diacomp set that will work with v-brakes, both the bar and the levers should be available through web cyclery. Most people I've seen run dirt drop type handle bars, run a shorter high rise stem, maybe find a cheapey stem if you want to experement.
    Thanks for the suggestions. That stem is something like a 130 mm with a 17 degree rise that was a cheapy to begin with. It's a bit of a frankenbike as it stands now but would like to get it in shape.

mtbr member

you mean something like this...

great way to ressurect an old frame...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    great way to ressurect an old frame...
    Minus the gearing, but yes, something like that. Thanks for the visual reference!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wish I'd thought of that.

Oh, wait, I did! Even put 700C tubulars on it, though you wouldn't need to go that far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by useyourdagger
    Oh, wait, I did! Even put 700C tubulars on it, though you wouldn't need to go that far.
    Yours is the bike that I saw the other day on the board. What brakes are those and where can I find them, or something equivalent (to use 700c wheels)? I grabbed the front wheel off my road bike and put it the front fork of the bike above, still need to try the rear. With that style brake, I'd be able to do it. Also PMed you!