Converting Sliding Dropouts to Vertical Dropouts.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Converting Sliding Dropouts to Vertical Dropouts.

Hi all,
    I have recently purchased a bike trailer to ferry my daughter around in, thus far I have only used it on my cyclocross singlespeed with vertical dropouts, but would rather use it on my mtb ss with sliding dropouts, as the gearing is lower. As the trailer hitches to the axle, my questions are:
    i) would a sliding dropout be able to take the load without slipping (I do use chain tugs)
    ii) is there a way to convert sliding dropouts to vertical dropouts
    Many Thanks

Apr 2007
    Well, I'd imagine that the chain tugs are facing the wrong way to do any good. But the chain itself may prevent slippage? As far as converting, might as well just sell the frame and buy a vert drop out frame for cheap. Access frames are $89. If you do want to convert, you'll have to get a shop that knows what they're doing to cut off the existing drop out and weld on new ones. Or I guess you can go ghetto and weld the sliding dropouts to the frame.....

Ovaries on the Outside
    Find some dropouts that really believe in vertical being the only way to dropout, then have them knock on the sliding dropout's door.

Out spokin'
    ...or just change your gearing.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sorry, maybe i'm not reading this properly, you use chain tugs on a sliding dropouts(paragon style)??
    if you mean horizontal dropouts (like on a surly 1x1) then absolutely, you won't have problems unless you're incapable of cranking the axle nuts down tight enough.
    I've hauled my trailer with sprog on a paul's hub without chain tugs. about 70 or 80 pounds fully loaded, all weight in. about 25 pounds of kid, 25 or 30 pounds of trailer, diaper bag, water, food, etc.
    and that's a 6mm allen bolt. with 15mm nuts and a nice wrench you can definitely get more torque on the axle to keep things in place.

but sliding dropouts don't get used with chain tugs, so I'm assuming you mean horizontal (track-style) drops.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i'm with sparty. why not regear the cyclocross?

anyway, a 15mm axle nut can bear more than enough torque to secure the trailer. i crank down on mine hardcore, otherwise my axle slides forward when i stand and hammer.

Single Speed Nation
    All this is moot anyway. Since the rear axle is at the center of the rotational force that is driving the bike, and the trailer attaches to the axle it won't be in any danger of slipping within your track fork ends (or horizontal dropouts, whichever you have).

Remember, the 'force' path travels right through your axle, where the axle then pushes against your frame, and in your case, pulls against the trailer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    thanks all for the advice. the only reason i havent regeared the cyclocross is because its my commuter. cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0