Converting old Surly 1x1 hub to QR- Mtbr.com
    Mtn View, CA

Converting old Surly 1x1 hub to QR

I have an old Surly 1x1 rear hub that uses hub nuts. My bike has vertical dropouts and I would prefer to use a QR instead of having to bring a wrench to remove the wheel to fix a flat. This hub uses a proprietary axle so there isn't anything available to convert to QR nor does Surly offer anything. Their current hubs can be converted. So I decided to do it myself.

Here is the hub. Surly 1x1 with a Rhinolite rim. I use a Shimano freewheel.

Axle removed. Other bearing is still in hub.

Hub with bearing removed.

I determined that the axle length needed to be 145mm (135mm drop out spacing plus 5mm per side) so I had to cut it to length. I rough cut both ends with a Dremel to get close to 145mm and then chucked the axle in my mini-lathe to cut and face to final length. Added a chamfer to the threads to make it easier to install the bearing nuts.

I don't have a drill long enough to go all the way through the axle so I have to drill halfway through both sides. I used a #7 drill (5.105mm) and did one side. Unfortunately when I started on the other side I broke a clamp bolt in the lathe. So I'll have to fix that before I can finish. I'll take a picture of drilling and of the final results. I also found that Surly is now using axle bolts instead of nuts with the hollow axle being threaded. I may do the same so that I can switch from QR to bolts.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

The need for singlespeed
    Nice work--hope it works out for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Aren't Surly axles all 10x1? You could just order a very common replacement axle. Probably under $10 at your LBS.

Mtn View, CA
    From the Surly website FAQs:

Can I change my solid axle New Hub into a quick-release?

... If you have an OLD hub of ours that is silver or black and says "1x1" on it, you have an old beast with a proprietary axle that cannot be replaced (because it is not made anymore.) ...
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    Did this project ever get finished?

Members who have read this thread: 1