Converting my Paragon to singlespeed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Converting my Paragon to singlespeed?

I'm bored with my '09 Paragon and I miss singlespeed riding (my Monocog is now in semi-permanent fixed gear mode and I'm too lazy to keep swapping it between fixed and SS). Plus I've been wanting to build a light hardtail singlespeed, so I came up with the bright idea to convert my Paragon to singlespeed.

I know the basics of what needs to be done...but I need to explore my tension options. ENO hub is out of the question (cost). I have my eye on the YESS tensioner that attaches to the BB and the Surly tensioner. Are there any other ones out there or any other options I should consider? Looking for a clean looking, bullet proof install.

Chainring is the other unknown factor. The bike presently has a three ring setup on Shimano M542 cranks. Due to cost I want to retain the cranks. Anyone know what size I need (i.e. is it a 102 or 104 or...)? I've searched around and can't seem to find any reputable info.
    Signature

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Only dead people are old
    The Rennen Rollenlager is a great option...price is right too.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    I have a 2009 Rig right now and love it!

Funny thing is that I'm doing the opposite of you....

I love my '09 Rig so much that I just ordered a 2010 Rig (same exact size) to convert to 1 x 9..... I figure I can always go back to SS easier (and cleaner) than going SS with a geared bike....

Good luck with the conversion.... Sweet bike you have!!!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    "Chainring is the other unknown factor. The bike presently has a three ring setup on Shimano M542 cranks. Due to cost I want to retain the cranks. Anyone know what size I need (i.e. is it a 102 or 104 or...)? I've searched around and can't seem to find any reputable info."

It's a 44/32/22 chain ring configuration, 104/64mm bcd.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm digging that Rennen tensioner. Only thing that turns me off is there is not a whole lot of adjustment to fine tune the roller with the chainline. It does seem most fixed tensioners are like that though.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For clean lines and simplicity I'm very happy with my setup.

Blackspire Stinger, non ISCG version.

Members who have read this thread: 0