Converting my old Klein Attitude to a SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Converting my old Klein Attitude to a SS

Any suggestions on where to start with converting my bike? Here are some pictures of the way it sits as of now.

Converting my old Klein Attitude to a SS-img_0990.jpg

Converting my old Klein Attitude to a SS-img_0989.jpg

Converting my old Klein Attitude to a SS-img_0988.jpg

Converting my old Klein Attitude to a SS-img_0987.jpg

mtbr member
    Find the original fork asap ! Just sayin. Here's my Rascal. Careful as you will be entering the SS zone !Converting my old Klein Attitude to a SS-1118111015a.jpg
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    He has horizontal drop outs like my Rascal.....No magic needed !

one chain loop
    nice, you might be able to fit a chaintug there.

for gearing combination that will work with your frame, measure your chainstay length (from the center of your crank bolt to the center of rear skewer) then use this http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php program.

any combo that is within the shaded area is your magic combo. combos on the right side of the shaded area will work too, just pull your wheel backwards.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Do it!

They make great SS bikes...put a set of tensioners on back and rock it!

Steve

one chain loop
    i see that, that is why i gave him the calculator. not all gear combos will work just because it has horizontal drops.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    The tensioners are to keep the skewer in place and as a chain tensioner. Horizontal drop outs will adjust to take up chain slack. Thats what makes it so killer for ss app.

better look at the rear set up:

Steve

mtbr member
    You may have an issue with your crank also. 36t middle sproket is the smallest you can go unless you can find an onza 34t buzzsaw chain ring. You have a pressed in bottom bracket prolly also to go with your old xt crank ? Or you can go with the small chainring up to 26t me thinks. 26x17 or 18 may be good to start with for our steeps in Los Gatos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    You may have an issue with your crank also. 36t middle sproket is the smallest you can go unless you can find an onza 34t buzzsaw chain ring. You have a pressed in bottom bracket prolly also to go with your old xt crank ? Or you can go with the small chainring up to 26t me thinks. 26x17 or 18 may be good to start with for our steeps in Los Gatos.
    I would like to go with whatever is the easiest. The crank on there is an old XTR crank and yes the bottom bracket has a press style. Definitely something towards the lower side will be needed to attempt the steeps of LG.

I might have a hard time locating that fork...damn. Spent about 2 hours digging through some of my stuff, but after a few moves it will be tougher than expected. Hopefully it show up but I'll plan for the worst. Any suggestions on what rigid fork I could use? Or will I have to swap out my handlebar and convert the MC1 headset.

bassn,

don't overcomplicate it by worrying about the fork...if you like the feel with it as a geared bike, you'll still like it ss.

the ss conversion is way simple on your bike:

remove rd and fd

pull cassette

buya spacer kit and a ss cog in the size you pick ( try a few and see what you like)
    edit: follow directions for good chainline setup available absolutely everywhere on the internet

use your middle ring up front with a set of shorter chain ring bolts (run it inboard or out depending on chainline)

cut chain to correct length for whatever gear you choose

get a set of tugnuts (tensioners) to adjust chain tension

go riding

big smile

Steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Steve,

Simplicity at it's best. I'll do some research tonight and start putting something together. I'm sure I'll have a couple of questions along the way. Thanks again guys and I'll update once I'm finished.

Alan

mtbr member

Save cable guides

My Klein mechanic suggested saving the cable guide plastic pieces as seen in the pic. It is very hard to re do this internal work if you ever go back to make the bike original which does happen. If you plan to ride Kennedy and your middle ring is a 36t you will prolly want a 22t in the rear. I run a 32x19 SS on Kennedy as my regular bike and it's pretty hard out there in good old Sierra Azul. Not many folks running SS out there. Just sayin ! Converting my old Klein Attitude to a SS-1128110816a.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, I learned a few things today about my bike. Apparently it's a bit harder to convert my bike to SS without spending more money than wanting to. I have an old style phil wood 7 speed freewheel hub vs. a cassette. There seems to be now easy way unless I could somehow use spacers on this type of freewheel hub, any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    run it fixed. duh.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    That will be ^%$#en' rad!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Well, I learned a few things today about my bike. Apparently it's a bit harder to convert my bike to SS without spending more money than wanting to. I have an old style phil wood 7 speed freewheel hub vs. a cassette. There seems to be now easy way unless I could somehow use spacers on this type of freewheel hub, any suggestions?
    post up a pic of ur wheel goodies and we will help out. I need some ss riders out on Kennedy !

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    it's a freewheel. He needs a ss freewheel cog (that'll die a quick death in mud) or he needs to get a new/used wheel with a cassette and buy a spacer/cog kit . Pretty simple. Use the track ends and get an 8 spd/single speed chain. Bam done.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Pretty great (rad) thread. If it were me converting a Klein (and I wouldn't given the 1" headtube and the press fit bb...) I think you'd have to consider wider bars. I hate narrow ones and I think you could probably move that stem/handlebar on ebay for enough to help you finish your build in style.

Snag an XTR wheelset off craigslist/ebay. They are out there and are pretty good, but rim brake only wheels are usually good deals on the 'bay. It'll make the conversion easier.

If you decide to do a new rigid fork, your selection is pretty limited with the 1" steerer. I think eXotic CF and the Kona P2 are your two options. Woopee.

If you do stick with SS, a lot of your parts have some eBay value. Even those Onza bar ends. Something to consider...

CB2
    Jam Econo
    So instead of a buying a spacer kit you buy a freewheel.
    If you ride in wet conditions, you're going to want a WI ENO which is expensive. Try riding in just one gear for a whole ride with your current set up. A good starting point for 26" wheels is 2:1 (if you have a 36t chainring, put it in a cog around 18). Once you've got a good idea of what works for you order a freewheel.
    One idea is to have a WI for your "main" gear, and a couple of less expensive freewheels for when you need a harder or easier gear than usual.

One What?
    Subscribed! That's a really good looking bike! One of my favorite parts about SS'ing is finding ways to make a particular bike work. Please be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Are you talkin to me?

Here's mine

I had my old Rascal frame and turned it into a great SS. Lots of fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting my old Klein Attitude to a SS-picture-025.jpg  

A weekend WASTED is not always a wasted weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Ride More View Post
    I had my old Rascal frame and turned it into a great SS. Lots of fun!
    Nice ride!

Thanks guys for the help and I'll post up pictures later today. So far I've switched out my middle ring to a 34T and removed both smaller and larger chainring. As of now it's a 1 x 7 and I'll be taking it out for a test ride later today to find out what configuration will best fit my riding. I'll also be picking up a 2012 Santa Cruz Highballer with a full XTR build today that I won on Ebay.....

DIY all the way
    I might have a hard time locating that fork...damn. Spent about 2 hours digging through some of my stuff, but after a few moves it will be tougher than expected. Hopefully it show up but I'll plan for the worst. Any suggestions on what rigid fork I could use? Or will I have to swap out my handlebar and convert the MC1 headset.
    Sticking to a suspension fork, is not all bad in the long run.

Once the novelty wears off of riding a crossover between a garden gate and a jackhammer, you'll be looking to get your old suspension fork back.

I too have one of those old Attitude's, and mine actually ended up as wall art, when I had to go back to the original fork, as the suspension fork went south.

Magura

usedtodoit
    Apr 2009
    Check your headset. I thought the early Attitudes were MC1 with a quill that was not exactly a 1" quill. Something like around 1.25" or slightly larger. To go with standard forks you may have to convert with one of the products by Reset Racing out of germany (pricey) or there is a machinist locally that has a site somethng like "The Mac Address". I believe both are converting the Klein proprietary to 1 1/8".

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey guys, I plan on selling my old Klein and need help with her age and asking price. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I plan on selling my old Klein and need help with her age and asking price. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
    Prolly best to find the Klein collectors. Loads of these end up in Europe hanging in garages unfortunately as art pieces. Not sure what your boy is worth but if you had an original fork if there was one it would be worth more. Finding the collectors may be a place to start...worth a google!