Converting my bike to SS today, what should I ask for?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Converting my bike to SS today, what should I ask for?

I'm taking my bike into the lbs today to tell the mechanics to convert my bike to a SS. Should I be asking for anything in particular as far as parts or brands?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    I'm taking my bike into the lbs today to tell the mechanics to convert my bike to a SS. Should I be asking for anything in particular as far as parts or brands?
    Shouldn't have to if they know what they're doing. Lots of good SS conversion parts or brands... just like anything else, depends on priorities & wallet size. Too many variables to make off-the-cuff recommendos.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Yup, the only thing you need to tell them is your intended budget.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i'm on my way and thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i just dropped my bike off and they told me one of the mechanics is going to call me to talk it over. the guy in there said it's kind of a big job or they will have to order some parts. guessing he said we're talking around $200+ to convert 27speed to ss. when i talk to the mechanic on the phone if the price is too high or it seems like it will be a pain in the ass, maybe i should tell them to put an 8 speed or 11 speed instead?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yikes $200 bucks! I would think that with labor they should be able to do it for under $100. May be it's time to get a few tools, spacers, tensioner device, and cog and do it yourself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71
    Yikes $200 bucks! I would think that with labor they should be able to do it for under $100. May be it's time to get a few tools, spacers, tensioner device, and cog and do it yourself.
    i probably could figure it out myself but by the time i get all the tools and ordering everything i need along with the fact that i don't know what i'm doing, i would probably get a chance to ride it after the summer is over.

mtbr member
    200 isn't so bad if you don't feel like having the necessary tools in your toolbox. Once you buy cog, spacers, tensioner, non-ramped/pinned chainring, chain, cassette lockring tool, chain-breaker, crank-puller, and short chainring bolts, you are easily around $150-$160 for products of reasonable quality. If you just want it done and done by a guy/gal who knows what he/she is doing, then 200 isn't so bad if you do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think I over reacted to the the $200 quote!! I agree with vaultbrad it can get up in there in price if good stuff is being used. I also agree with bwheelin that you got to know the limits of your mechanical ability. Better to spend the money at the LBS than to trash your bike!!

mtbr member
    Still it shouldn't be $200. I work in a shop and to convert a bike for little money I'd sell the customer a:
    $15 cog and spacer kit
    $15 chain
    $20 tensioner
    $25 chainring
    $10 chainring bolts

Then labor would be:
    $10 for chain install
    $5 for cog/spacer install
    $5 for chainring install
    (there might be a "single speed conversion" labor charge, I can't remember, but I think it's $25)

...That's $105 (if I did my math right) and that covers EVERYTHING. Plus you still have your old parts that you could sell for at least something (depending on quality) if you like SS enough.

mtbr member
    part of that quote might be a crankset. does your crankset have bolted chainrings or are the riveted/ pressed together?

one chain loop
    200? buy a chainring and cog from HBC and i will convert your bike for free.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    part of that quote might be a crankset. does your crankset have bolted chainrings or are the riveted/ pressed together?
    i'm not sure. this is what it says in the specs from 2008.
    Truvativ Isoflow 44/32/22

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    what part of the country do you live?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    200 isn't so bad if you don't feel like having the necessary tools in your toolbox. Once you buy cog, spacers, tensioner, non-ramped/pinned chainring, chain, cassette lockring tool, chain-breaker, crank-puller, and short chainring bolts, you are easily around $150-$160 for products of reasonable quality. If you just want it done and done by a guy/gal who knows what he/she is doing, then 200 isn't so bad if you do the math.

Yes, but if you bought all of those tools, you would always have them. Maintenance will be required at some point and if you don't have those tools you'll end up taking it in to the LBS again and again.

OP, find out if the $200 included a new crankset. If so, then $200 isn't horrible, but if it doesn't then they are really gouging you.

The actual labor should take less than 30 minutes if they know what they're doing.

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin View Post
    what part of the country do you live?
    i live in calgary don't get my response wrong, actually if they (LBS) know what they're doing, 200 is not that bad. there is an overhead costs too to consider working on a shop, i.e. tools, electricity, site lease and of course labour cost to pay for these mechanics. maybe you can watch them how they do it and learn the basics, buy your own tools and wrench you own bike in the future, then your hard earned 200 will just go on parts the next time.

p.s.
    post before and after pictures if you can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i live in calgary don't get my response wrong, actually if they (LBS) know what they're doing, 200 is not that bad. there is an overhead costs too to consider working on a shop, i.e. tools, electricity, site lease and of course labour cost to pay for these mechanics. maybe you can watch them how they do it and learn the basics, buy your own tools and wrench you own bike in the future, then your hard earned 200 will just go on parts the next time.

p.s.
    post before and after pictures if you can.
    thanks. i think if it was the beginning of winter i would probably attempt to tackle it myself but with the nice weather kicking in, i don't want to waste precious time. i would like to build my own bike in the future though.
    i'll certainly post some pics.
    Last edited by bwheelin; 05-26-2011 at 07:52 AM.

MMS
    mtbr member
    I used mid-level conversion parts, & got a "bro deal" on the wrenching...about $120, but I got new grips too.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    A decent rear tensioner can be expensive, depending on what you go with. I've seen them in the $50-80 range. A chainring can be about $30-40, a spacer kit is usually $10-20, and a cog is anywhere from $5 for a cheap stamped steel one to a couple hundred. There is cheaper stuff, but typically LBS's don't usually carry the cheap bottom barrel conversion kits branded by nashbar or whoever, so you're usually paying for Salsa, Surly, etc, and in that case, $200 is pretty fair IMO, and the stuff is better than that nashbar kit. It's also probably an hour or so of labor at the least, so there's $50 right there.

Jul 2006
    do you take referals?
    Thanks for the plug

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    do you take referals?
    Thanks for the plug
    hey, if only i have 200 spare change laying around then your parts will be on top of my list as my conversion kit

Jul 2006
    hey, if only i have 200 spare change laying around then your parts will be on top of my list as my conversion kit
    haha i hear ya, even i ride blems

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    haha i hear ya, even i ride blems
    sometimes i wonder what chainring/cog combo you ride. i mean, do you use the same design pattern that you sell or you have your own "Dan" design like a croosbone, unicorn or pretzel you what i mean.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71 View Post
    i just called my lbs to see what the status was. they have to order a few parts but gave me a price of $140 and it will be ready next week.

Members who have read this thread: 0