|i|

Converting my bike -- question.....

Pretty sure I know the answer to this: I have a Mavic crossmax SLR (2007). Will running a standard Shimano BMX cog just destroy my freebody? I have one lying around and want to try it out.

thanks

mtbr member
    It may dig into the freehub over time. However, you can always file off the burrs... To preserve your freehub body, try using a cog with a wider base (Endless, Surly, CK, etc...)...

|i|
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    It may dig into the freehub over time. However, you can always file off the burrs... To preserve your freehub body, try using a cog with a wider base (Endless, Surly, CK, etc...)...
    ok...so a few rides to test it out won't make a difference then.....

...I want to test out the size before committing to another expensive cog

mtbr member
    a few rides shouldn't be a big deal (a few months of mashing will however). it's a good idea to find your ideal gearing for your area and riding style before spending any more than $5 bucks on cogs...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I put a cog surly 16 on my xtr hub and the wide base is working sweet. There is not play at all. Do yourself a favor and avoid using a cheap cog. Trust me; you will stay with the surly for a long time, so it will be cash well invested. You can get one on ebay.

|i|
    I plan on getting a good one -- I just want to be able to try the cheap one out a few times without worrying about ruining the interface.

Quote Originally Posted by mjaraica
    I put a cog surly 16 on my xtr hub and the wide base is working sweet. There is not play at all. Do yourself a favor and avoid using a cheap cog. Trust me; you will stay with the surly for a long time, so it will be cash well invested. You can get one on ebay.

mtbr member
    The cheap cog is not going to hurt your wheels in the short run but just like was mentioned before you do want to get a cog with a wider base later. The cheap cog will help you to decide wether you want to stick with SS. So after you decide SS is the only way to go then go and buy a surly, endless bike yada yada yada..... cog. They really arn't to expensive I think you can get a endless bike cog for like $25 at price point

Members who have read this thread: 0