Converting a multi-speed to a SS- Mtbr.com
    Did I catch a niner+?

New question here. Converting a multi-speed to a SS

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlesp...l#freewheelhub

So I have been reading Sheldon Brown's how to on this and it all seems straight forward on what to do except what to do with my front chain rings. Is there is cheap solution for this? It says it would really only line up with my granny gear, but I am going to want something hard then this. I suppose I could but a bigger cog on the rear? Can I just take off the front der also if I do this?

The bike is a 1998 Trek 800 Mountain Track is awesome baby blue, this was my first "serious" bike.

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Thread Killer
    If you follow Sheldon's advice on using cassette spacers, you should be able to position the rear cog in near perfect alignment with whichever chainring you choose. Personally, I think I'd take off the smallest chainring, put the chain itself on the middle ring, and leave the big ring on as a chainguard of sorts.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I see pricepoint has a kit for conversion for about $12 http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/167...ersion-Kit.htm however it is said to only work with a 8 speed chain or up. This bike is a 7 speed so it doesn't look to work, however can I just purchase a SS chain and be done with it?

pink

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I see pricepoint has a kit for conversion for about $12 http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/167...ersion-Kit.htm however it is said to only work with a 8 speed chain or up. This bike is a 7 speed so it doesn't look to work, however can I just purchase a SS chain and be done with it?

pink
    Purchase a ss chain. You need a tensioner, unless you have sliding drop outs. I recommend the Sette tensioner that is not spring loaded.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    7 & 8 speed chains are the same. I like the Srams. The 7 spd freehub body is slightly narrower that the 8 spd. That being said, I like using aluminum spacers like these since you are able to fine tune the chainline better and now you dont have to worry about the 7 spd freehub body...http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...jor=10&minor=5
    Then grab a cog and a tensioner. Ditch the granny gear, use the middle ring, and either buy a bash guard or use the large chain ring as mentioned earlier.

Did I catch a niner+?
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...551_1031512_-1

Saw this kit also and seems to have everything I need I do not know if the chain tensioner is spring loaded or not but there is someone in the 26er SS thread who used this on a 1993 Trek similar to the one I am using.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The problem with that tensioner is that it only works in push down mode. The Surly Singleator will push up and others like the fixed tensioners. Here's a few...good source of ss parts too.. http://www.bikeman.com/Single_Speed_...ensioners.html And yes, the Performance tensioner is spring loaded.
    Last edited by Ebo; 03-22-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Ok thank you. Someone on the forums actually has a kit to sell me and the tensioner does not look to be a spring option (the sette one recommended). Surly is a local company to me maybe I will charge their office

pink

Did I catch a niner+?

Just want to make sure I have the Sette Tensioner on there properly. I will assume once I get the cog on I will have more bolt to use (waiting on chain whip).

And the bike so far.

pink

Thread Killer

And the bike so far.

pink
    There's something missing
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Did I catch a niner+?
    On a serious note is that how it should be installed in the first picture?

pink

mtbr member
    On a serious note is that how it should be installed in the first picture?

pink
    It is installed kind of correctly. One off thing is that the tensioner is made to be used with a Quick Release. The black piece it came with is a special end for the quick release that your bike does not have. It will work with it bolted on, it is just not what it is designed for.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Just a thought - as that frame of yours has semi-horizontal dropouts, couldn't you get away without a tensioner anyway and achieve tension with wheel position?

You might need a half-link in the chain to manage this with the gearing you want to use but it would be a better solution than using a bolt-on tensioner, in my opinion.

AZ
    banned
    /\ Correct , with your semi-horizontal dropouts you dont even need that tensioner , might need a half link but you can throw that tensioner in the scrap pile .

Did I catch a niner+?
    I actually ordered a SS chain since my original chain from over 10 years ago is pretty bad. It will be here today I will try with wheel tension first then go from there. The SS kit I bought came with the tensioner from a member on this forum so it was not a bad deal all around.

pink

Did I catch a niner+?

IT LIVES!

Gearing:38/17 (would use big front but the chain line gets pretty off)
    Origin 8 Spacebar
    Sette Rev seat
    Specialized computer
    Ergon Grips (have had em a long time dont feel like buying a new set without bar ends)
    Sun Ringle Octane pedals
    Bontrager Comfort 26x1.95 (I think I could go 2.2)

Yes I am going to take it on a trail I think on Sunday see how she handles out there. I think I will smoke my riding buddies on multi speeds
    pink
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 03-30-2010 at 06:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have the same bike...wow!!

mtbr member
    i can tell right away this is going to be a problem.

a lot of the SS conversion kits and DIY instructions you have been reading are for multi-speed cassette hubs with a freehub body, not freewheels. you have a single-speed freewheel, so there is no way to space out the cog like what you have read. with a freewheel like that, you are going to have HORRIBLE chain alignment, which is going to cause your chain to pop off the freewheel frequently and where out your chain.

here's what you need to do to improve that chain alignment:
    1. take the lock nut and cone nut off one side of the axle and remove the axle. while you've go this out, clean and re-grease the bearings in there.
    2. put the axle back in but reverse it, so the thick spacer that was on the right is now on the left. now your freewheel will be much closer to the right dropout and closer to being in alignment with the front chainring.
    3. now your rim is going to be "dished" to the right. when a wheel is built, it is tensioned and the spokes are sized so that the rim is centered relative to the axle. since the center of the axle has now changed position, you need to compensate where the rim is. you can probably center it but loosening all of the spokes on the right side of the hub a bit and tighten the ones on the left. to do it correctly, you should de-lace the whole wheel and re-lace it with the spokes on opposite sides of the hub. try re-centering the rim first and if it can't be done, you will need to replace some or all of the spokes. or just buy a ss-specific wheel.
    4. it looks like the chainrings on that bike are riveted together, so there's not much you can do with that. look into a new crankset or at least a new right crank arm that will allow you to put a SS chainring on there.

Did I catch a niner+?
    The chain line is fine all it really needed was a half link to give proper tension.

As far as a new crankset that is a thought but I want it on the real cheap.

pink

Motobey
    Im putting together a ss from left over parts, I haven't decided on the crank size yet. Any ideas I have a 42 teeth from a road crank but I wonder if 32 teeth would be better? any suggestions?
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

Did I catch a niner+?
    32t would have you spinning quite a bit on the road but seems pretty common size for the dirt. 32:16 is a nice 2:1 but really do whatever feel comfortable especially if you have a lot of big hills.

pink

Did I catch a niner+?
    Nice update on the chainline.

I took it to my LBS (Erik's Bike Shop) and spoke with Jeremiah on what I was looking to do and on the cheap. After a few uses of a ruler and closing one eye and the other he came to a very reasonable conclusion. He told me to put the crank on the inside of the and use some small spacers to push it a little further in, plus I put 2 spacers on my freewheel. This put me from a 15mm shift to only 5mm! I took the bike out tonight on a full ride and the chain did not come off or attempt to!

pink

Did I catch a niner+?

Here shows what we did it may help some of you that were in the same boat as me.

pink

Motobey

Nice

Looks pretty nice, and simple. Where you get the spacers for the chain ring from the lbs? or did you used something else?

I also see you got ride of the chain tensioner.

Motobey
    Would that be one of the Erick's shops in Minnesota?

Did I catch a niner+?
    LBS had everything for me. I never actually used the chain tensioner, I took advice from AndyR and AZN.MTNS on just using my dropouts.

Yes Erik's Bike Shop in MN, there is also a Penn Cycle sticker

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Single speed

Hi
    I'm new to the site. This is my Haro Extreme Comp, I bought new back in 1990 (I think) I had a few years then sold it. A few years later I bought it back. Some years on after that it was stolen and a few months later I was fortunate to the thief on my bike cycling the opposite way down the road. I turned the car around and gave chase, followed onto an open field and ran the f**ker off the bike and reclaimed my trusty steed. We've been partners ever since.
    I though it was time to breathe new life into this bike because I love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Motobey
    LBS had everything for me. I never actually used the chain tensioner, I took advice from AndyR and AZN.MTNS on just using my dropouts.

Yes Erik's Bike Shop in MN, there is also a Penn Cycle sticker
    I miss tha Penn sticker, lol.
    That's where I bough me first Road bike a few years back, now Im sunshine Fl.

Lol.

Members who have read this thread: 0