mtbr member

Converting hardtail to ss commuter

So I've decided against buying a langster and instead I'm going to convert my old rockhopper into a SS commuter. I don't have any cranks for it right now, so I'll have to buy some square taper cranks. What would be my best option for building it up using my current cassette hub that's on the bike? I have a salsa 94mm 42 tooth ring that I would like to get some use out of, and would probably like to put a 14 or 16 on the rear. If possible, I'd like to keep the cranks, cog, spacers, tensioner (if I need one) all under $100

mtbr member
    The rear Gusset single speed converter works well for many, and worked well for me ($20). Jenson also has the Surly Singleator for $37.

If you do a search for BMX cranks you will see some interesting ideas on going cheap there, or also ebay has had some cheap SS cranks floating around. Don't forget some slicks too. If you aren't worried about weight, Wal-Mart actually has some 26" slicks for less than $10.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

RIP Vonnegut

Dan's competition for bmx cranks

Check them out for bmx crank arms and then you can use a cheap bmx front chainring (42 is going to be pretty tall for a singlespeed) and make sure the chain you are using will work, it's probably a 3/32, I had to buy a 1/8 for $11 from my lbs to get it to work. I bought a misfit cycles rear cog conversion off ebay for 15 dollars. It had all the spacers and an 18 tooth cog that works great. And a wide bar makes life better too, if you can find a cheap one.

If you want to stay really cheap, bust that rear cassette by drilling the rivets and use the cog that works best with your 42. You will just need some spacers to get the alignment right. I have no experience with that setup and was discouraged from it due to the ramps and pins on the cassette cogs and my race face front ring. Those are made to shift the chain and if your alignment is a little off you will be losing the chain fairly easily (I was told).

Either way the bmx chainring was $10, the rear cog conversion was $15 and my chain was $11. Square taper bmx cranks are as cheap as $30 (dotek and poverty forged) from http://www.danscomp.com/. If you want to get real fancy you can find a cheap euro bb there too. I use 180mm GT chromoly cranks and an old profile bb I got for less than $50 off ebay.

have fun, I only have 3 or 4 rides on mine and love it.

ganze
    Last edited by Ganze; 05-22-2005 at 09:37 AM.

mtbr member
    I want tall gearing on it because it's going to be my around town bike with slicks.

mtbr member
    May 2005

New question here. Converting?

Do you guys know if i can convert my old 26" 7-speed rear wheel with one of the kits from Gusset or Surly?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ((If you want to stay really cheap, bust that rear cassette by drilling the rivets and use the cog that works best with your 42. You will just need some spacers to get the alignment right. I have no experience with that setup and was discouraged from it due to the ramps and pins on the cassette cogs and my race face front ring. Those are made to shift the chain and if your alignment is a little off you will be losing the chain fairly easily (I was told).))

Cassette cogs work fine. The spacers allow you to fine tune the chainline very close to straight. I have had more chain dropping issues when using a ramped and pinned ring, so get an unramped/pinned ring and use a cassette cog. If you want to prevent the chain from coming off the drive cog, use the 2 largest cogs as guides on either side of the drive cog. Just make a sandwich consisting of the drive cog in the middle, a spacer on either side, then a large cog on either side.

Steamroller

cassette or freewheel hub?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser79
    Do you guys know if i can convert my old 26" 7-speed rear wheel with one of the kits from Gusset or Surly?
    If it's a cassette hub you should be able to convert it with one of the kits. Since the freehub body is not as wide, you will probably want a kit with a bunch of smaller spacers. I think the Gusset kit has two big spacers and may not work without shaving down a spacer.

If your wheel has a freewheel rear hub, then you can remove the cog cluster and screw on an SS freewheel, but you'll likely have to re-dish and/or re-space the wheel to have everything line up.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    If it's a cassette hub you should be able to convert it with one of the kits. Since the freehub body is not as wide, you will probably want a kit with a bunch of smaller spacers. I think the Gusset kit has two big spacers and may not work without shaving down a spacer.

If your wheel has a freewheel rear hub, then you can remove the cog cluster and screw on an SS freewheel, but you'll likely have to re-dish and/or re-space the wheel to have everything line up.
    This is what I had to do. I ground a few mm off the smaller spacer on a bench grinder to get it to fit the 7-speed.

Jim

mtbr member

cheap cranks for 94mm BCD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...158403342&rd=1

here are some cheap cranks for a 94 BCD, haven't heard good things about them but how bad could they be for a cheap commuter bike?
    Last edited by disco; 05-24-2005 at 10:35 AM.