Converting a geared vs. Single Speed Specific- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Converting a geared vs. Single Speed Specific

I recently picked up a Trek 6500 and am thinking about converting it to single speed. I'm wondering, if a conversion is done correctly, is there any disadvantage to a converted geared bike vs. a bike made single speed specific?

My last bike was a Monocog Flight. I'm not a fan of the 29ers (I know, sounds crazy to most of you I'm sure), so I sold the Flight to one of my buddies. I ended up finding a really good deal on last years model for the 6500 and I couldn't pass it up. I'm debating making the conversion to SS. It seems like most of the conversions people talk about doing are on older bikes after they've gotten a new one. The bike is brand new and I am having fun with it with the gears, so I want to make sure a conversion could be a long-term quality single speed that I can use. Is this crazy to do on a brand new bike?

mtbr member
    the world will end!!

really only a little bit of looks and a tiny bit of drag from the tensioner (probably so small that it's insignificant). However, if you decide you're committed enough to SS there are conversion products that don't rely on a tensioner and make any bike as good as single speed specific, products such as the ENO eccentric rear hub and the Forward Components EBB adapter

local trails rider
    If you convert and realise you hate it, you can always put the gears back on.

When converting, don't get one of those flimsy spring loaded tensioners. I have a Rennen tensioner that is fixed with a bolt and it is working well. BB mounted tensioners look like a good idea to me too. Like Yess, or a chain guide type thing like Blackspire Stinger.

Out spokin'
    Personally I'd like to try the Forward Components "standard shell" EBB. Might have to use a half link in my chain, but it makes a non-SS look like a "real" SS.

Plus... you can still put your gears back on if / whenever you want.

Best of both worlds, IMO.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Retro Grouch
    How is that different than buying a new singlespeed bike? Just think of it as upgrading some OEM parts
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Members who have read this thread: 0