converting cross bike to single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

converting cross bike to single speed

Here is my project - converting an old Ibis Hakkalugi to a single speed. It is currently a triple up front with STI shifters. I am trying to figure out what the whole project is going to cost, so here is my list of parts:

Required:
    Chainring - 110 BCD, 40 or 42 tooth
    Single chainring bolts
    Rear wheel, Eno hub
    Non-STI levers (brake only)
    Freewheel

Optional:
    Chainring guards

What am I missing? I do not want a singleator, so even though the Eno hub is expensive, I like the idea of the clean lines, and also this will be my mud racing bike - big tire clearance, no derailleurs. What is the usual cross singlespeed gearing - 42 up front and something like a 16, 17 or 18 in the back? How much chain will the Eno hub take up - will it allow me to swap rear freewheels?

So many questions...any help is appreciated.

Steve

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you're looking to do this on the cheap, why not simply yoink off the granny gear and grind the teeth down on the big ring to turn it into a bash guard?
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

no bashing here

Quote Originally Posted by MacTech
    If you're looking to do this on the cheap, why not simply yoink off the granny gear and grind the teeth down on the big ring to turn it into a bash guard?

This is a cross bike, so if I have bashed into anything with the ring, it is a barrier and bad things are happening. My only reasoning for the chainring guards is to keep the chain from coming off. Then again, maybe they should be called "chain-coming-off guards".

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... Tips etc

Quote Originally Posted by gabbard
    This is a cross bike, so if I have bashed into anything with the ring, it is a barrier and bad things are happening. My only reasoning for the chainring guards is to keep the chain from coming off. Then again, maybe they should be called "chain-coming-off guards".

Steve
    I have raced a single speed cross check for a couple of years now and I run a 39-18 gear for cross racing, you might try a 39-17 if you are strong and on a flatter course, but also don't forget to factor in mud if present, at the nationals, in 2003 in Portland several of the single speed racers geared up cause the course was flat, but at race time most of the course was 4-8inches deep of mud, the single speeders myself included did a lot of running. If you are using a 110 crank you might need to use a 36t front and a rear which would give you a similiar ratio, like a 16 maybe. YOu shouldn't need a bash guard on the single as long as you have a good chain line, but if you don't use one you will need a set of the short chainring bolts, I use one cause it is easy to hit a 39t if you are out trail ridding, and I like the looks. I know some people who have used the eno with no problems, even having a different fixed gear on the flip side, with out problems, I think that a 1or 2 tooth difference shouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps