Converting a Cannondale Bad Boy to SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Converting a Cannondale Bad Boy to SS

Hiya all,
    Im new here and originally posted this on the Cannondale forum so apologies for the double posting!

I have a 2008 Bad Boy Disc and was wondering if its possible to convert it to single speed??
    Cannondale do actually make a Bad Boy SS but this has a slightly different frame with a horizontal dropout.

I know there is tons of info around here about but TBH im finding it all a bit confusing as this is a new idea to me. If at all possible, what would be the best way of converting my bike??

Also, as a newbee to SS would a fixed or freewheel be best??

Many Thanks

I have red hair
    check up at the top-right corner of the page, where it says "Singlespeed - FAQ's - Read This First"

http://www.mtbr.com/ssfaqcrx.aspx

If you still have questions after that, feel free to ask
    "I don't believe in brakes, all they do is slow you down"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    going SS is pretty simple. i converted my geared bike just recently.

first off, most will say, if not all, u should probably go freewheel/hub...

here are a few areas you will have to focus on:

GEAR RATIO:
    gotta decide what ratio u want to run. i think most will say 32/18 or 32/116 is a good place to start depending on what type of terrain u ride. i went 32/18 till i get stronger.

CRANKSET:
    take off the small and big chainring and just use the middle chainring or buy a new one with the teeth# u like. if u take off the big chainring, you will need to buy shorter chainring bolts or buy a bashguard (that goes in place of the large chainring) because the bolts will be too long.

REARWHEEL/COG:
    u have to take off your cassette and buy a singlespeed cog with spacers. something like this:
    https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...ersion-Kit.htm

or you can take apart your cassette and use the cog u want and make spacers out of PVC or alike to achieve a proper chainline

CHAIN & TENSIONER:
    you can use your existing chain or buy a SS chain like the SRAM PC-1. you will have to shorten it as much as possible so it just wraps around ur front ring and rear cog. hopefully you wont need a tensioner. if you do you can buy one like this:
    https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...-Tensioner.htm

or use your old derailleur like this:

BRAKES: looks like you have disc brakes so your good. i had to buy brake levers since i had those combo brake/shifters.

SHIFTERS & DERAILLEURS: ditch em and sell em since you'll love SS so much you wont need them hehehe

i think thats basically it! after that your budget is the limit. there are so many cool parts and upgrades like wheels, cranks, blah blah. but go ride and have fun!
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by joshik123
    going SS is pretty simple. i converted my geared bike just recently.

first off, most will say, if not all, u should probably go freewheel/hub...

here are a few areas you will have to focus on:

GEAR RATIO:
    gotta decide what ratio u want to run. i think most will say 32/18 or 32/116 is a good place to start depending on what type of terrain u ride. i went 32/18 till i get stronger.

CRANKSET:
    take off the small and big chainring and just use the middle chainring or buy a new one with the teeth# u like. if u take off the big chainring, you will need to buy shorter chainring bolts or buy a bashguard (that goes in place of the large chainring) because the bolts will be too long.

REARWHEEL/COG:
    u have to take off your cassette and buy a singlespeed cog with spacers. something like this:
    https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...ersion-Kit.htm

or you can take apart your cassette and use the cog u want and make spacers out of PVC or alike to achieve a proper chainline

CHAIN & TENSIONER:
    you can use your existing chain or buy a SS chain like the SRAM PC-1. you will have to shorten it as much as possible so it just wraps around ur front ring and rear cog. hopefully you wont need a tensioner. if you do you can buy one like this:
    https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...-Tensioner.htm

or use your old derailleur like this:

BRAKES: looks like you have disc brakes so your good. i had to buy brake levers since i had those combo brake/shifters.

SHIFTERS & DERAILLEURS: ditch em and sell em since you'll love SS so much you wont need them hehehe

i think thats basically it! after that your budget is the limit. there are so many cool parts and upgrades like wheels, cranks, blah blah. but go ride and have fun!
    I hated the sette tensioner, too much tension if the chain is a bit short and its only a push down model . IF you are goign to get a spring tensioner go with the surly singulator and dont forget to get the cone wrench!

https://www.jensonusa.com/store/prod...ingleator.aspx
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    I hated the sette tensioner, too much tension if the chain is a bit short and its only a push down model . IF you are goign to get a spring tensioner go with the surly singulator and dont forget to get the cone wrench!

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ingleator.aspx

ah, never had a chance to use the sette tensioner. it was just the cheapest on pricepoint i have the singulator and i love it.

i installed it without a cone wrench. i took off the derailleur hanger and installed the tensioner then installed the tensioner/hanger back onto the frame. purchased it from a guy and installed it at the trailhead
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by joshik123
    ah, never had a chance to use the sette tensioner. it was just the cheapest on pricepoint i have the singulator and i love it.

i installed it without a cone wrench. i took off the derailleur hanger and installed the tensioner then installed the tensioner/hanger back onto the frame. purchased it from a guy and installed it at the trailhead
    well alot of people grow to hate the sette tensioner because it simply is a very cheap quality product, I had to mod mine to get it to work decently . the cone wrench will be useful for the new surly tensioner but you gotta remember not to over tighten the spring, it will fail.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Members who have read this thread: 0