Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon. Worth it?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator SuperModerator

Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon. Worth it?

With the 2011 bikes becoming available in the 3rd quarter of 2010 my LBS is pushing to get me on a Cannondale for next year.

What I need to do is convert it to a SS bike.

My current idea is to use the FSA insert to convert the BB30 shell to a standard BB and then fit a Forward Components BB to get the correct chain tension.

I would really like to avoid hanging a tensioner on the back if at all possible.

Any other ideas on how to convert a BB30 to an EBB?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you don't want a tensioner out back, then your options are an EBB, an Eno hub, or a BB mounted tensioner. Of those, I think the FC EBB is the best choice, and is what I use (ditched my Eno to run it).

One note on the FC EBB, I'd recommend upgrading the bearings to Phil Wood before installation, and putting a Phil Wood dust shield on the non-drive side. The stock bearings aren't great, and the left side bearing is unprotected aside from the bearing's seal.

master blaster
    that will be bad ass

Should be bad ass if it comes together.

I was going to go Niner Carbon but with delays and the fact my LBS is pushing hard it may well be the Flash.

Wish I could say the XX Hi-Mod but it's an extra $1000 for a saving of 80 grams.

Plan is to sell off all the unused shifty bits to cover the cost of the insert and FC EBB.

I also still have a set of cut 'n' polished M960's in the garage which (if not sold) will go on and everything will run using ISAR rings.

Also for consideration is running the Niner carbon fork instead of the Lefty (but I would need to find a suitable headset as well and my brains already set to explode.

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    My current idea is to use the FSA insert to convert the BB30 shell to a standard BB and then fit a Forward Components BB to get the correct chain tension.
    Aren't such BB adapters just pressed in? If you use anything that places the axle out of the center of these adapters, there are good chances that the adapters start slipping in the frame.

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Flash is not designed for singlespeed riding, according to Cannondale they are not sure if it will hold up for singlespeed use.
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "not recommmended for single speed use": that sounds like an EXCELLENT reason to try!

don't do EBB in bb30 press-in cups.
    much as I dig how much better ebb's look, the pressed in cups could rotate on their own since they aren't anchored in any way.
    correct me if I'm wrong, but generally those inserts don't bolt to anything internal right?
    so while I doubt FC's EBB would be a problem, unless you can anchor down the press-in bb adapters it may not work anyways, because if one of the adapters slips IT rotates that side's ebb cup out of alignment.

eno rear hub!
    do it!
    weigh it!
    post pics!
    if you fold the frame trying, we'll deny any knowledge of you using it for "unintended use"
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

I know cannondale don't recommend it but until they build a carbon ss frame there is no choice

Good comment on the insert slipping. This is exactly the type of stuff I need to work out. Eno may be the only way to go, wow now I am rebuilding a rear wheel as well !!

I still need to sell a road bike before I can start seriously looking at this. The offer from my lbs is there I just need to rustle up the moola

Thinking out loud:

Machine the cups of a Niner ebb insert to fit a bb30 shell?

master blaster
    Thinking out loud:

Machine the cups of a Niner ebb insert to fit a bb30 shell?
    not sure the bb shell will withstand the pressure from that ebb.
    i dont have any experience with bb30 so i dont know if it will shift when the fc ebb is installed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    *shrug* what's a rear wheel in the grand scheme of things... carbon flash frame's the big coin.
    besides, if ever there was a good time to lace up an edge composite rim to an eno hub with some marwi ti-dye spokes... this is IT baby!

Niner EBB won't work, from what I can read about specs so it looks like ENO would be the way to go.

I just need to shift the pesky road bike....

Apr 2007
    Just curious why such loyalty to that particular LBS and Cannondale? I'd think either waiting for a Niner, or going with S-Works or Trek SF SS would be a better option?

I worked there for 3 years when it first opened and there was only the two of us running the business (that was 7 years ago now). Cannondale was the first "big" brand we secured a deal with and I have always liked the way their bikes ride. This coupled with the deal I am being offered and it almost makes getting one a no brainer.

He did have Fisher, and might still get Trek but I don't feel comfortable with G2 geometry, it just doesn't work for me.

I'm still trying to persuade them to get Niner !!

Apr 2007
    I see. Although, not sure if you value your loyalty enough to subject yourself for months/years of fiddling around with an aftermarket chain tensioning system. Especially spending that kind of dough. If I were spending that much, I'd get a bike i wanted, instead of compromising. READ: Wait for the Niner!!

Yes, I know there are some "double standards" and "flaws" in my logic, right now I ride a brand he doesn't stock, previous to that I rode a Yeti....nope he doesn't stock that either.

However prior to having the Niner I was just "riding for fun", now I'm racing and placing at least top 4 against riders with gears and suspension.

Everyone in the area knows me from the shop, I ride under the shop as a team name and wear the shops jersey for races and 90% of my riding.

Also, converting the Flash is certainly going to be less than simple...

Right now it's all "pie in the sky". When I sell my road bike there will be tough decisions to make.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I feel you can still make the FC EBB work. You can set use Loctite 603 retaining compound (or red Loctite) to fix the FSA inserts in the BB shell.

Converting the frame to SS with an Eno hub is very simple.

Looking at the FC EBB it's not that far off center axis of the sleeve. Loctite is another option, maybe the blue initially as I will want to get the sleeve out at some point.

When the time comes if I go the Flash route I will email FC for comments.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looking at the FC EBB it's not that far off center axis of the sleeve.
    It's really not, as the total throw is only half an inch.

A regular BB works quite happily.

I do wonder if the max deflection of 0.5" from center will cause enough torque to make the sleeve slip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why limit yourself on not using a tensioner?

There's some nice tensioners out there and really IMO it doesn't deflect from the clean factor and you have the flexibility of a larger gear range to choose from. Just seems like you are still going with a hokey set up attempting the Forward Component and BB 30 compatibility and the possibility of it slipping.

Just my two cents.

With the 2011 bikes becoming available in the 3rd quarter of 2010 my LBS is pushing to get me on a Cannondale for next year.

What I need to do is convert it to a SS bike.

I would really like to avoid hanging a tensioner on the back if at all possible.

Any other ideas on how to convert a BB30 to an EBB?
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

Let's ride
    What about running magic gear?

I too want a Flash and run it SS, 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    What about running magic gear?

I too want a Flash and run it SS, 29er.
    That would be the ideal solution, if I find a combination which lets me run 48.8 gear inches.

Let's ride
    That would be the ideal solution, if I find a combination which lets me run 48.8 gear inches.
    That might be a bit much to ask for.

Get a hold of a bunch of chainrings, cogs, a new and stretched chain, 1/2 link and go for it.

Right now it's all "pie in the sky". When I sell my road bike there will be tough decisions to make.
    Just sealed a deal to sell the road bike......

Time to get serious with some decisions

I have the Flash spec sheets now and another problem just reared it's head:

The Carbon 2 comes with the FSA 386 crank . I cannot find anybody "making" a ring (single speed or not) with that BCD pattern so I would have to go custom or back to the FSA insert with a regular BB and my XTR's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I cannot find anybody "making" a ring (single speed or not) with that BCD pattern so I would have to go custom or back to the FSA insert with a regular BB and my XTR's.
    Contact Mathias in the Weight Weenie forum. He can make a custom ring for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Contact Mathias in the Weight Weenie forum. He can make a custom ring for you.
    This Mathias?

http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=269700

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup.

I used the magic ratio calculator and if I'm reading this correctly then 32 x 20 might just be the magic ratio.

Can someone confirm please as this would be awesome.

I also talked with Renny at Yess components about creating an EBB sleeve to the BB30 standard. Unfortunately he doesn't think there is enough space to available to make it viable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon.  Worth it?-gear-inches.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I got a friend who rides an Alloy Flash SS, bike feels great and weighs nothing

The dirty deed is done, placed my order today for the Flash Carbon 2, eta is September.

Now to start acquiring the parts I need to get it working, there's a lot being discarded from the stock model...

mtbr member
    there are some guys out here in Cali running the C-dale and Spec BB30 cross frames with custom made EBB30's they are eccentric BB shells designed for a BB30 frame. I can make a few calls for you and see if they want to sell one. send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I used the magic ratio calculator and if I'm reading this correctly then 32 x 20 might just be the magic ratio.

Can someone confirm please as this would be awesome.

I also talked with Renny at Yess components about creating an EBB sleeve to the BB30 standard. Unfortunately he doesn't think there is enough space to available to make it viable
    Tire might need to be a bit wider than 700X35? Unless you run that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PSpuza
    Tire might need to be a bit wider than 700X35? Unless you run that.
    It is a magic gear ratio. Tire and wheel dimensions don't matter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Haha that was dumb of me. I don't know why I thought that.

I just plugged in the largest tire wheel / tire size it had listed.

Looks like I might get lucky with a 32 x 20 combo

Hellore.se have quoted me for machining a 32T single speed ring and I've also asked them for a price on 19 and 20T sprocket(s). If I run the 19T I'll use a Yess tensioner for the time being until I work out some type of eccentric set up, either EBB or Eno.

Things are coming together...

mtbr member
    Just a heads up.

According to the Flash Owners Manual, the Carbon Flash has molded in inner bearing retainers and will NOT accept any press in adapters.

The alloy has standard circlips.

Oh man, thanks for the heads up. Right now I'm keeping the BB30 set up.

Way to go Cannondale, define a standard and then change the specs !! The "Open Source" shop drawings all show a groove in the shell for the circlip.

How are us bodgers supposed to mess with it when you go and change it just like that?

Ordered the chainring from Hellore.se today

All the parts I need for conversion are now pretty much in place.

Titanium chainring is ordered
    I have a Rennen Rollenlager chain tensioner on the way
    Birthday is 3 weeks away and I'll be ordering an ISAR Ti/Al cog for the back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I saw a company (teambeer.info) on the SS CX forum that makes a EBB for the BB30. Looks pretty cool- I am considering one for my Flash 29er Carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel
    I saw a company (teambeer.info) on the SS CX forum that makes a EBB for the BB30. Looks pretty cool- I am considering one for my Flash 29er Carbon.
    I'd definitely be interested in finding out more about that. I did consider the BB30 sleeve and an FC eccentric but the sleeve cannot be fitted into the carbon frame.

Edit: Just found it, $150. http://teambeer.info/?page_id=406

mtbr member
    I'd definitely be interested in finding out more about that. I did consider the BB30 sleeve and an FC eccentric but the sleeve cannot be fitted into the carbon frame.

Edit: Just found it, $150. http://teambeer.info/?page_id=406
    Thats the group if guys I was talking about, sorry I dropped the ball on gathering info for you guys
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Put In The Wooork! ;)

just got myself all magic geared up here on the superfly, 32x15.
    even with tubes and a dh bb, still weighs less than a good lunch.
    cool beans!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The only issue I have with the teambeer one is cost- not the Ebb itself, but a new standard spindle crank, but chainrings, cogs and spacers as well. For decent quality stuff (I don't want to put a crappy thin cog on my nice DT Swiss hub for example), the total puts the conversion over $300, more if you want high end stuff. The cost of a nice rim and an ENO disc hub is about the same, but that carries it's own issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd like to hear from someone actually using one. The design seems like it would lend itself to slipping or creaking.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    Thats the group if guys I was talking about, sorry I dropped the ball on gathering info for you guys
    No problem, I'm pretty much set now on running the BB30 and eventually going ENO eccentric at the back if i keep the bike for more than a season.

Bad Mechanic: I posted up on their site last night asking if anyone had tried it in a carbon frame and what the torque specs were.

It's a very crude cut'n'paste job but this bike has got potential:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon.  Worth it?-rigid-flash2.jpg  

Out spokin'
    Git 'er dun!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is that a Biopace chainring?

Is that a Biopace chainring?

I'm good at building bikes but $h!te at Photoshop

mtbr member
    Hey driverbob..... nice bike....is it better then your ONE9?...are you going to sell ONE9 now?
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

It will be a nice bike when it and all the parts arrive.

We will see if it is better than the One9, it's going to have to be bloody brilliant !!

Will I sell the One9? That is the million dollar question. I have 2 One9's and a Monocog already. Adding the Flash makes it 4 SS bikes.... Until I actually ride the Flash in a couple of races I won't know what I'll do.

mtbr member
    Hahahahaha that picture was a MindF***
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

3 or 4 more months and I should be able to take a real picture and that will really blow some minds !!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    3 or 4 more months and I should be able to take a real picture and that will really blow some minds !!
    i've had this build in my head for a while as a race bike so i'm super excited to see how it turns out for you.

Wife just called me at work and told me I have a package from Sweden waiting for me at home.

I don't think that FedEx ships gorgeous blonds so it must be my Ti ring for the 386 cranks from Hellore.se

Out spokin'
    Wife just called me at work and told me I have a package from Sweden waiting for me at home.

I don't think that FedEx ships gorgeous blonds so it must be my Ti ring for the 386 cranks from Hellore.se
    Stop talking, go home, get the camera and post a pic!

--sParty

P.S. It's okay to tell your boss you're feeling sick. I mean, you probably actually are, right?
    disciplesofdirt.org

As requested, 40gms on the nose !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon.  Worth it?-img_1040.jpg  

Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon.  Worth it?-img_1041.jpg  

Out spokin'
    As requested, 40gms on the nose !!
    Nice but, uh, it's only got 3 CR bolt holes...

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

It has to fit this bolt pattern:

Arrived at the LBS late this PM. Starting to take shape....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon.  Worth it?-img_1154.jpg  

Apr 2007
    Sooooo sick. Congrats. So, are you going to run a tensioner?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    nice build! you run some pretty low air pressure.
    Not so keen on the 3 bolt cranks, there's enough problems with 4 as it is. glad you managed to find a ring for it.

p nut:
    Thanks, I'm pretty happy so far. There's a Rennen Rollenlager already on there. However the Flash dropout does not have recessed hanger bolts so I have to source some new bolts and then countersink the hanger to get everything to sit flush.

ISAR:
    It was cold and late, I'll wait until the weekend to seal up the tires. The 3 bolt setup is a PITA. I'd also forgotten that FSA bolts are made of swiss cheese, Two came out fine but the third (behind the crank arm) exploded when I tried to remove it. I'll have to drill it out on Saturday and fit a new one. I was pi$$ed at it happening, T30 bit was flush and square but as soon as I put some torque on the wrench the teeth stripped right out

My other slight concern is the tolerance between the freehub body and the Niner cog, there's a lot of play which will doubtless gouge the freehub body, time will tell if it creates a problem.

Bar has already been switched for a Noir WC low rise, tubes are removed from the wheels. As it sits right now it's about 19lbs and there is room to shed a little more weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    niner carbon fork for one!
    regarding the niner cog wobble, if you crank down the lockring it shouldn't be too much of a problem. it's still a widebase cog.
    might want to contact them though, let them know what hub you're running, maybe they've had reports of problems with that type of before?
    always good to know earlier than later.

that's a great looking build! more pics when you get the chance!

Jul 2006
    p nut:
    Thanks, I'm pretty happy so far. There's a Rennen Rollenlager already on there. However the Flash dropout does not have recessed hanger bolts so I have to source some new bolts and then countersink the hanger to get everything to sit flush.

ISAR:
    It was cold and late, I'll wait until the weekend to seal up the tires. The 3 bolt setup is a PITA. I'd also forgotten that FSA bolts are made of swiss cheese, Two came out fine but the third (behind the crank arm) exploded when I tried to remove it. I'll have to drill it out on Saturday and fit a new one. I was pi$$ed at it happening, T30 bit was flush and square but as soon as I put some torque on the wrench the teeth stripped right out

My other slight concern is the tolerance between the freehub body and the Niner cog, there's a lot of play which will doubtless gouge the freehub body, time will tell if it creates a problem.

Bar has already been switched for a Noir WC low rise, tubes are removed from the wheels. As it sits right now it's about 19lbs and there is room to shed a little more weight.
    bummer on the chainring bolts! i'd go with steel, it's bad enough when you loose one on a 4 bolt crank, forgetaboutit on a 3 bolt.
    Dont worry about the cog, it's aluminum and wide based so it cant do much damage. unfortunately hub manufacturers do not stick to a standard, or they are just loose with their tollerances on the splines. It's a constant headache for me. Most cog manufacturers just go bigger on the spline so they dont have to deal with it, but then you have concentricity and spline wear issues. There's a VERY fine line between getting complaints of loose cogs and tight cogs, and i KNOW they're all the same size as my fixtures double as a gage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Those carbon Flashes ride incredibly well (the alloy ones do too). Set up as a single speed, that thing is going to rip.

Keep the Lefty on it. One of the nicer forks out there for a 29er.

Updated glamor shot:

Hellore.se ring is now fitted, tires are inflated and Rollenlager fitted properly.

Spacer kit is on order and then it only needs a chain. Still sitting at 18.45lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon.  Worth it?-img_1158.jpg  

Jul 2006
    out of curiousity, why such a small frame? I'd break that thing in a month with that much post sticking out, i have a bad history with seat tubes.

BTW, are you in CT?

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    out of curiousity, why such a small frame? I'd break that thing in a month with that much post sticking out, i have a bad history with seat tubes.

BTW, are you in CT?
    I went thru the numbers before buying, at 5'10" I tried the large but it felt too big at the TT.

Post height is not yet final, it's going down by at least an inch and there is already plenty of post inserted into the frame.

Not in CT, I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i'm in love with this thing... is that the new ballistec carbon?

have fun trimming down those brake lines and bleeding the elixirs, just did mine last night. if you've never done it before, follow the manual and NOT the videos online. don't ask...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wish I were you!!! Hell yes, you better!!! Going to convert a 29er 3 2010... let me know how it turns out.

Yes, it's the ballistec carbon. Brake lines are a long way into the future, once it's working I want to get a bit of riding in on it.

Clobber: There's a few things which have turned up as I've been putting this together.

1. The soft FSA crank bolts, the one on the back of the crank arm had to be extracted with an ez-out, the other two were "worryingly" soft as they came out.

2. Lack of SS rings. I had to get mine made by hellore.se

3. Derailleur hanger bolts are not recessed. The Rollenlager tensioner I has will not fit without a little modification of either the hanger or the tensioner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin
    i'm in love with this thing... is that the new ballistec carbon?

have fun trimming down those brake lines and bleeding the elixirs, just did mine last night. if you've never done it before, follow the manual and NOT the videos online. don't ask...

I was there with him, seems like all the videos leave out at least one small step,

I keep debating when trimming the cables if it is better to start at the lever side or the caliper side.

Quote Originally Posted by dblvanos
    I was there with him, seems like all the videos leave out at least one small step,

I keep debating when trimming the cables if it is better to start at the lever side or the caliper side.
    I've always cut at the lever in the past. My logic is two fold:

1. I've got a smooth run up from the caliper and can get a very accurate length cut with the bars turned.

2. There are less places to trap an air bubble at the lever than at the caliper. If I don't touch the caliper end then it's pretty much just top up the fluid and re-pressurize the system once the hose is reconnected.

mtbr member
    Great bike driver bob!
    I decided last night to turn my new Jamis D29 Team into a ridgid SS.
    I plan on building up a set of White Industries ENO eccentric wheels with Stans Crest rims.
    I,m a complete newby to SS bikes, so having said that.
    My I ask why did you go with the chain tensioner instead of an EBB or a eccentric rear hub?

thx
    Dave

Dave,

Plain and simple it's cost right now. A tensioner is the least expensive way to convert the bike. If I like it and decide to keep it then I may well build a WI rear wheel in the future.

EBB is out on the carbon frame because I believe the BB30 clips are molded in place so cannot be removed.

mtbr member
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Ok I get that your giving it a tryout first.
    I decided after buying my Jamis that I wanted a Scott Scale 29 so I now have this frameset looking for a home. So its getting the nod as a ridgid SS.
    Do you have any thoughts on using my stock 2X10 XO crankset as a SS crank with a custom chainring like yours?
    I was considering going with a Specialized S-Works crankset for my XC bike anyways so this XO crankset was going to be extra to be sold off or placed in the parts bin.

thx
    Dave

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE LEVETT
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Ok I get that your giving it a tryout first.
    I decided after buying my Jamis that I wanted a Scott Scale 29 so I now have this frameset looking for a home. So its getting the nod as a ridgid SS.
    Do you have any thoughts on using my stock 2X10 XO crankset as a SS crank with a custom chainring like yours?
    I was considering going with a Specialized S-Works crankset for my XC bike anyways so this XO crankset was going to be extra to be sold off or placed in the parts bin.

thx
    Dave
    That would make a great singlespeed crankset, as the spider can be removed and a single ring put on in it's place. Makes for a super light crankset. Rings are available for it.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    It should work fine with a custom chainring and bash in place of the stock rings.

Apr 2007
    Have you taken this thing out yet? Don't know how you can bear it.

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Have you taken this thing out yet? Don't know how you can bear it.
    1. See all that snow.....

2. I still have to work out the 386 crank spacer width (it's less than standard so I'll have to cut the spacer down).

3. I'm waiting on FSA to send me new crank bolts (Thumbs up for their warranty dept).

4. Still to fit the spacer kit for the rear cog and have a few things to work out with the tensioner/hanger interface.

5. We have a new baby coming in 8 weeks and I have to re-decorate another bedroom and lay flooring for our 3 year old to move into...

It will be ready to go soon enough

mtbr member
    Congrats on the soon to be born baby* driver bob!
    I figured out my crankset issue today, I,m kinda glad that I will be able to use the stock 39t XO crankset since it looks awesome with the carbon frame. The inner chainring will be removed, resulting in a 600g crankset.
    My Stans/White Industries wheelset was ordered today and will be using WI,s* ENO 22t freewheel. The 39t/22t combo results in a 51.5" gear ratio, that will hopefully provide a nice all round XC ratio for the relatively flat terrain here in southern Ontario.I,m also going to get a 16t freewheel,*the 39t/16t combo provides a 71" ratio that should fit the bill for commuting to work plus any around town duties.
    I,m really looking forward to this build and hope to come in at a 17.5lb bike, since my plan is to use a tapered Niner carbon fork.
    I,ll post some pics next weekend when the wheels get here.

So after ignoring the bike for a while my warranty crank bolts from FSA arrived yesterday (excellent CS).

This weekend I'll get a push on to get closer to finishing things. I should be able to fit the cassette spacer kit and work out the chainline.

After that I will be able to mod the Rollenlager to fit around the d-hanger bolts and also machine down the rear crank spacer to fit correctly.

At least that's the plan....

Got everything together last night. Bike is pretty much stock except for the drivetrain and the Noir WC bar.

Apologies for the blurred pic of the Rennen. It was tough to cut (!!!) but came out great, only 1 slight slip with the cutting wheel, and it's a cosmetic blemish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon.  Worth it?-img_1178.jpg  

Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon.  Worth it?-img_1180.jpg  

Converting a 2011 Flash Carbon.  Worth it?-img_1181.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Can you make the tensioner push up on the chain?

Can you make the tensioner push up on the chain?
    Yes, but in my highly un-scientific "crank spin" test it seemed to create more drive-train drag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I had considered trying to use that BB30 adapter in the same frame so thanks for the heads up.
    2 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    I had considered trying to use that BB30 adapter in the same frame so thanks for the heads up.
    Not saying that an after-market EBB, ala Teambeer or FC wouldn't work but at around $150 for either it's too much $$ to pony up on a "maybe".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I assume you considered using a WI eno eccentric hub. Any particular reason you didn't aside from cost?

Nope, if I decide to keep the Flash for an extended period then chances are it will get a WI eccentric hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Not saying that an after-market EBB, ala Teambeer or FC wouldn't work but at around $150 for either it's too much $$ to pony up on a "maybe".
    This post below says to me that the Teambeer option wouldn't work.
    Old 07-23-2010 #35
    brentos
    mtbr member

Just a heads up.

According to the Flash Owners Manual, the Carbon Flash has molded in inner bearing retainers and will NOT accept any press in adapters.

The alloy has standard circlips.

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    brentos is online now Report Bad Post Reply With Quote
    2 wheels

artnshel:

The team beer is not "strictly" a press-in, it does depend on where the fixing bolts of the are positioned. I haven't been able to find any drawings of it so cannot determine for certain if they would clear the fixed bearing retainer or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks, that option appeals to me.
    I know the Eno is proven but I think it's around 500g with a freewheel and there will be a brake alignment issue with the post mounts on the Cannondale.
    2 wheels

WI make an eccentric brake adapter to fix the brake alignment issue.

Weighed the bike at the LBS this morning: 19.4lbs.

The saddle is getting switched out for a Ti railed Phenom which should get me down to a hair over 19lbs. I'm likely going to swap out the 180/160mm rotors for 160/140 rotors to try and get me under 19lbs.

....I know, no pedals or bottle cage....I'm cheating !!

mtbr member
    I don't think the FC EBB would work either unless your BB width is 68mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So how does it ride?
    2 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    So how does it ride?
    I still haven't ridden it

Snow only started melting this week and there's still a good 4" minimum so trails are not really ridable.

First time I ride it I don't want to be battling frozen rutted trails and have a miserable ride.

Couple more weeks and it'll be good to go.

First ride into work this morning, tarmac only because the trails are still a mess !!

Going to have to swap out the rear wheel and put my King/355 combo on there, a couple of times I noticed the freehub not engaging 100% on the Sun dirty flea.

Acceleration is great from the frame, back end is very light.

Having spent all winter on a Mary bar going back to a regular bar felt narrow and low but a couple more rides is all that needs.

Locked out the Lefty, having been rigid for over 18 months it just felt weird having things move, still need to get the conversion kit organized so I can install my Niner fork.

Seatpost was a touch low, adjusted once I got to work (too cold to stop roadside).

Really wanting the snow to go and the trails to dry out a little so I can test it in the "proper" environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0