Convert a SS to a 2 X 10?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Convert a SS to a 2 X 10?

Sorry to piss off SS fans, but I was wondering about converting a SS to a geared MTB. I have my eye on a 2008 Felt Nine Solo. Thought maybe I could buy a groupset and go geared. Worried, b/c the Felt 2008 catalog states that it has "Cold-Forged Vertical Single Speed Dropouts". Also has an "eccentric bottom bracket," and I don't know what that means. Please advise. Name:  felt_ninesolo_08_m.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  24.8 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    No clue to the bike in question, but why even consider 2x drivetrain when 1x is all the rage these days? I can see why it's populair to do without the front derailleur.

WillWorkForTrail
    Why not just buy a bike with a 2x10 drive train? Add up the cost of a decent drive group, figure in the cost of the Felt, and you'll find your budget is probably sufficient to just buy a decent bike that comes with what you want.

Wanna ride bikes?
    i would just look for a geared bike. it will likely cost you less and be a lot less hassle.

if you buy the single speed (assuming it is compatible with rear derailleur and cassette) you will also need to build a new rear wheel and buy new cranks and a full drivetrain.

just look for a geared bike.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    FYI the "vertical dropouts" are like the dropouts on a geared bike where the rear axle drops into. Non-adjustable in other words. This is opposed to horizontal dropouts which are slots that allow moving the axle forward or backwards to adjust chain tension, like the single-speed kids' bikes at Walmart.

The "eccentric bottom bracket" permits chain adjustment. The crank is not mounted in the center of the bottom bracket shell, but offset a bit. By rotating the bottom bracket, you move the crank forward or backwards.

This is the arrangement used to adjust the front chain on a tandem BTW.

mtbr member
    I think setting up a front derailleur on a bike with an eccentric bottom bracket could be a giant pain. 1x10 would not be so bad though, if a dropout with a derailleur exists that has a derailleur hanger on it. otherwise, the cost of buying a new rear wheel, derailleurs, chain, cranks cassette, and shifters will put you well on your way to a new bike. better to cut your losses and sell that bike to fund the new one.

mtbr member
    It may well have normal vertical dropouts but most probably won't have a rear mech hanger if it's designed as a dedicated singlespeed.
    So you'd have to find a way around that, for a start.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Okay--maybe a 1 x 10. But will a cassette fit back there??

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I think setting up a front derailleur on a bike with an eccentric bottom bracket could be a giant pain. 1x10 would not be so bad though, if a dropout with a derailleur exists that has a derailleur hanger on it. otherwise, the cost of buying a new rear wheel, derailleurs, chain, cranks cassette, and shifters will put you well on your way to a new bike. better to cut your losses and sell that bike to fund the new one.
    Thanks for the replies, folks!! I'm learning so much.
    I love the idea of doing a 1 x 10 . I can get a nice XT 1 x 10 groupset for just $200, so why not? But will a cassette fit? Here's a pic: Name:  FeltSSrear.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  29.4 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flydyl View Post
    Thanks for the replies, folks!! I'm learning so much.
    I love the idea of doing a 1 x 10 . I can get a nice XT 1 x 10 groupset for just $200, so why not? But will a cassette fit? Here's a pic: Name:  FeltSSrear.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  29.4 KB
    Would need to have a better look at your rear hub. If it's a dedicated SS hub (which it kinda looks like- a SS cassette style specifically) then you can't fit a 10 speed cassette on it and so would need a new rear wheel or hub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes--I figured I might need to rebuild the rear with another hub (or find another wheel). Is there any chance that the frame is too narrow to accommodate a cassette?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Two more photos, if it helps you, good people:

Convert a SS to a 2 X 10?-feltsolorear.jpgName:  felt_ninesoloframe_08_m.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  21.2 KB

Wanna ride bikes?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Internal gear hub would be the easiest way to do it without having to cobble something hideous. Have a look around here:

Internal Gear Hubs - Mtbr.com