Convert Hoizontal drops to Vertical Drops can it be done?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Convert Hoizontal drops to Vertical Drops can it be done?

I have a steel ss frame with horizontal dropouts, i want to frabricate vertical dropouts so in the future if i want to convert to gears i can. Is this possibe, and are there any risk to the frame if i were to do this. The spacing is a 135mm, so there is enough room for gears. Just need a deraulier hanger.
    Thanks
    Chris

enjoying the kool-aid
    A lot of companies offer conversion kits for their horizontal dropout frames.

Here is a link to the Santa Cruz one for the Chameleon.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...4f2b455e578955

Maybe you could look into getting something like this to fit your frame.

mtbr member
    Effectively this is what On One Sliding dropout are. They are vertical dropouts "sliding" on horizontal dropouts. There is even a derailleur hanger shipped if you want to go with gears.

I see no reason this should damage the frrame - ASSUMING THAT IT IS PROPERLY DONE.

Good luck.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member

what about...

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed1
    I have a steel ss frame with horizontal dropouts, i want to frabricate vertical dropouts so in the future if i want to convert to gears i can. Is this possibe, and are there any risk to the frame if i were to do this. The spacing is a 135mm, so there is enough room for gears. Just need a deraulier hanger.
    Thanks
    Chris
    What about an ENO hub? You don't have to convert a frame, just rebuild a wheel.

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    What about an ENO hub? You don't have to convert a frame, just rebuild a wheel.

hmmm, I think you read his questions incorrectly.

He wants to go SS back to Geared in the future.

I don't see how an ENO hub will allow him to install a derailleur on his non-hanger horizontal drop outs. Horizontal drop outs are actually defined as track fork ends.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed1
    Thanks
    Chris
    what do you mean by "fabricate"? do you mean "convert to"?

you can't make your horiz drops into verts via fabrication.

depending on the frame you have, you might be able to get the dropouts switched by a framebuilder. it would depend on your current dropout setup and how much end tubing there is left for new dropouts after removing the current dropouts. on most frames this can be done. there are some big laser-cut steel dropouts made by Bob Summersett that can go into just about any steel frameset's rear triangle.

http://www.summersettbikes.com/ --->click on the "DropOuts" button.

you need to be aware that if you go from horiz drops to vert drops w/ der hanger, you will lose your ability to tension your chain while in SS mode, because the horiz drops allow you to move your wheel rearward to tension the chain. you can get around this by using something like a Surly Singleator, by adjusting chain length with 1/2 links, or by getting lucky enough to find a gear combo that works without having to tension the chain.

mtbr member

aaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez
    hmmm, I think you read his questions incorrectly.

He wants to go SS back to Geared in the future.

I don't see how an ENO hub will allow him to install a derailleur on his non-hanger horizontal drop outs. Horizontal drop outs are actually defined as track fork ends.
    I think you're right...I had a lapse of judgement there...sorry! Must have been the late night of getting dryhumped by angry squirrels in my moat.

Members who have read this thread: 0