convert help- Mtbr.com

Thread: convert help

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

convert help

i have a soulcraft convert that seems to slip a little after every ride. I run a 34x17 ratio on my gt tequesta and although it can be ridden with no tensioner, to make the chain tight would require taking out 1.5 links. So i have a convert which held just fine on my previous single speed convert (yokota yosemite) but now seems to slip in the "push up" position. The chain doesnt skip off the rear cog, it jsut has that little bit of slack before catching, and that bugs me. Any advice?

mtbr member

Good job! Skipping

I assume this only happens when you really hammer on the cranks; correct? Pushing UP on the chain is the way to do it and you SHOULD still have a tiny bit of slack in the chain. A tight chain is difficult to turn. If you're hearing that horrible 'slipping' type noise, it may be the free body hub that is slipping, not the chain/cog. Have you tried a different wheel?

For quite a while I thought it was the chain slipping when it turned out to be the freebody hub. I replaced that (and now service it more frequently) and the problem went away.

Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3
    i have a soulcraft convert that seems to slip a little after every ride. I run a 34x17 ratio on my gt tequesta and although it can be ridden with no tensioner, to make the chain tight would require taking out 1.5 links. So i have a convert which held just fine on my previous single speed convert (yokota yosemite) but now seems to slip in the "push up" position. The chain doesnt skip off the rear cog, it jsut has that little bit of slack before catching, and that bugs me. Any advice?
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.