Conversion using BMX parts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Conversion using BMX parts

Please let me know if a conversion can be done for very cheap. I have some time off and want to try to make my old MTB singlespeed. Please explain in simple terms as my bike knowledge is limited.

What I have:
    Trek 930 Mtn Bike w vertical drops, 21 spd
    Mongoose BMX bike, don't know the sizes of anything yet, picking it up tomorrow.
    A lot of free time.

What would be the extent of parts I would have to buy? Or can I just throw the BMX set up on the MTB?? Thanks for your help!! Apologies if this has been discussed before.

AZ
    banned
    Bmx hub is narrow , 110 mm I think . MTB hub is 135 mm , so you can see there is a discrepancy . Alternative would be , SS spacer kit and cog , use your derailluer as a chain tensioner . Remove all your shifters , front derailluer etc. Read the FAQ's at the top of the page .

mtbr member
    +1 for what AZ said. You will have a much easier time just using the existing parts on your MTB and getting any cheap adapter parts if needed

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    shoot, i thought i was going to luck out. The rear derailuer is busted, one of the reasons Im converting it. This means I would need a chain tensioner? Thanks for the help.

AZ
    banned
    You might get lucky and find a magic gear , almost any derailluer will work as a tensioner . Try your LBS , a six pack of beer goes a long way sometimes . You can also make spacers out of 11/4" p.v.c. pipe , use abs pipe its already black . Dont give up so easily , be resourceful , you can do this for cheap .

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    You may get lucky on the BMX, and be able to fit a longer seat post. Then adjust the bars/stam and rip it up. It could save a lot of weight, feel stiffer, and be a really fun SS.

Oh, and just in case, 24's are way fun on a SS...

Tom P.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    You might get lucky and find a magic gear , almost any derailluer will work as a tensioner . Try your LBS , a six pack of beer goes a long way sometimes . You can also make spacers out of 11/4" p.v.c. pipe , use abs pipe its already black . Dont give up so easily , be resourceful , you can do this for cheap .
    exactly. I did my first SS conversion with a derailleur I pulled from a bike in a dumpster. There is always a way

AZ
    banned
    We wont give up , we will lure you over to the dark side

mtbr member
    For sure the 6 pack to the bike shop will get what you need done, atleast at my shop it will. price point and performance bike have good sales on kits from time to time thouhg
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

mtbr member
    I wonder which bike has worse parts, the Trek or the mongoose?

The crank on the BMX bike definately will have a removable chainring which will make finding the magic gear easier, the Trek may have riveted rings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ok, when i get the bike tomorrow, i plan on removing the chainring from it (the bmx) removing all shifting derailluers etc from the MTB and keeping one cog. I will need spacers but as of now that is it. I will hope I get lucky and find the magic gear. If I don't then I will need to look into getting a old derailluer or chain tensioner. Sound right? Thanks for all the help!!!

one chain loop
    i don't think you will be needing any of the bmx parts to convert your trek into SS. maybe the brake levers and seat but that's about it.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dillboy
    ok, when i get the bike tomorrow, i plan on removing the chainring from it (the bmx) removing all shifting derailluers etc from the MTB and keeping one cog. I will need spacers but as of now that is it. I will hope I get lucky and find the magic gear. If I don't then I will need to look into getting a old derailluer or chain tensioner. Sound right? Thanks for all the help!!!

Sounds about right , spacers = 11/4 pvc .

mtbr member
    If you have the time here's a few ideas to make your own chain tensioner
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=226049

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Oh I gotcha on this one. Tires and bars, add a pair of forks with a quality lockout. I cant understand why this is not the number one bicycle design. We ride for fun right? I took a Dawes Haymaker put BMX bars and stem with an 8in rise. (BMX stems are shorter so you'll lean the bars forward a bit to compensate fits like a glove) slap some decently sturdy wheels with some street tires on it...rocking all day and night! It's the funnest bike I've ever been on and by standing in that position you can really crank that puppy. Also consider a smaller bike with a BMX laid back seatpost. To make it easier to maneuver and hop. I have a thudbuster on mine. Because I'm old.

If your looking to build a street bike you can jump curbs and and thrash across a park or trail your on the right track for sure. No it's not better at either but who LIVES in that world anyway? hybrids are awesome! U.A.B Urban Assault Bicycle LoL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goligo15 View Post
    Oh I gotcha on this one. Tires and bars, add a pair of forks with a quality lockout.
    Thanks for reviving this 9 year old thread.

Also, how does one put a pair of forks on any conventional bike? I have never ridden a bike with more than one FORK on it. I am sure it's possible to build a circus bike with multiple forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I have never ridden a bike with more than one FORK on it.[/QUOTE]

True...true. *long exhale* I came here to support the knowledge of bicycles. I learned I sometimes make grammatical errors. Could be worse tho, I could be an ass. LoL All good bud

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Conversion using BMX parts-5400995575604322743.jpg

Nothing too much to look at but it gets ridden every day and is definitely the smoothest rolling bike on these streets. I absolutely love this bike

Members who have read this thread: 0