conversion- Mtbr.com

Thread: conversion

I'm 3 ducks in a man suit
    Jan 2006

conversion

Just contemplating turning my 27 speed (Truvativ Blaze 22/32/44) into a 32-only 9 speed, and I had some questions. Who better to ask than the SS guys?
    I found myself never changing the f. der. out of 2, and decided I could definitely stand to shed some weight and clutter by completely removing the front shifting capabilities. Staying on the 32, I have no problems riding how i want, and I really fancy the simplicity of the whole SS thing (maybe a full conversion is in my future). But, for now, I'd like to find out if I can use this crank for a front SS. Will I be able to remove the inner and outer rings while still keeping the 32? Someone recommended getting a whole new straight tooth SS (DH?) chainring and a bashguard. Will this work with the Blaze crank? Is a bashguard necessary? Any info would be great.
    What are you two doing in my bedroom?

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    If your chainrings are bolted on instead of riveted on then you can easily do the conversion. You'll have to buy new shorter chainring (CR) bolts or use spacers or a bashguard to bolt the 32 on since the old CR bolts are too long to work with only one CR. Bashguards are personal preference. If you go over lots of big roots/logs/rocks, then it can be a big benefit. As long a the CR bolts on you can find another CR designed not to shift to use.

Welcome to the wide world of SSing.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Crash often, crash stupid

you will also need

You will also need a chain guide like this http://tinyurl.com/bqwvf To keep your chain from popping off on the inside of the crank and use a bashguad to keep it from popping off the outside. I learned the hard way. First ride I made it about 20yards went over the first log, chain popped off. The next log... you get the picture.

mtbr member
    I have to disagree about the guide.
    I rarely drop the chain on my SS.With proper chain tension and a non ramped chainring you ought to be fine .
    Ideally your chainring shouldn't touch the log anyway-

Jan 2006
    Thanks for the info, guys, it helped alot. I checked around some web retailers (now that I understand what I'm looking for) and found some pretty decent options. Thanx again.
    Talk to ya again when I'm 100% SS

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by upstatesspdr
    I rarely drop the chain on my SS.With proper chain tension and a non ramped chainring you ought to be fine .
    This is for a 1x9 setup, not SS. In any case the guides are not always needed. You do need to shorten the chain and a shorter cage derailleur can help (both of which reduce the chance of dropping the chain).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Jan 2006
    Have to shorten the chain, eh? I figured the tension spring on the rear der. would keep the chain tight enough, but I guess not, huh?
    My rear der. is a brand new Sram X7 (long cage, of course ) and I'd like to steer away from replacing it if possible.
    I was looking into a single-speed-specific 32t chainring, and a bashguard so I have the added protection (alot of fallen trees throw themselves under my bike all the time ) and so it'll match up with my current chainring bolts. ...This and remove a few links, sound like it'll work?

No big ring = less chain needed.

Your current derailleur will be fine.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use an old road derailleur on my SS as a tensioner. Very short cage, works great. I have the chain pulled quite tight so there is alot of tension from the derailleur, and no chain slap. I also second the unramped ring. I don't get the chain bouncing off the ring with this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by hu-man
    I use an old road derailleur on my SS as a tensioner. Very short cage, works great. I have the chain pulled quite tight so there is alot of tension from the derailleur, and no chain slap. I also second the unramped ring. I don't get the chain bouncing off the ring with this setup.
    Once again, even though this is the SS board, this discussion is about a 1x9 setup.
    mtbtires.com

Jan 2006
    So, to check for proper chain length, I should check where the cage is when the chain is on the 44, and remove enough links to match that, while on the 32, right?

Quote Originally Posted by laffingbuddha
    So, to check for proper chain length, I should check where the cage is when the chain is on the 44, and remove enough links to match that, while on the 32, right?
    Read this: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26

Basically I run the chain just long enough to be able to shift onto AND off of the largest cog.
    mtbtires.com

Crash often, crash stupid

1x9 conversion

Quote Originally Posted by upstatesspdr
    1x9, The log itself did not cause the chain to come off. It was the bouncing while hoping it that causes it to pop off. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. You don't realize how much a front der. help keep the chain on until you remove it

Members who have read this thread: 0