Connecting a half link- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Connecting a half link

I need to use a half link with my current setup and SRAM chain, and I don't want to connect it in with a Powerlink. In other words, I want to rivet it into the chain. I believe SRAM mushrooms the head of their rivets slightly to aid in retention. So how can I reconnect everything without a Powerlink?

The reason for not using a Powerlink, is the half links always seem to be a hair wide, so I need to rivet it so I can loosen it just enough to allow it to pivot properly.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I need to use a half link with my current setup and SRAM chain, and I don't want to connect it in with a Powerlink. In other words, I want to rivet it into the chain. I believe SRAM mushrooms the head of their rivets slightly to aid in retention. So how can I reconnect everything without a Powerlink?

The reason for not using a Powerlink, is the half links always seem to be a hair wide, so I need to rivet it so I can loosen it just enough to allow it to pivot properly.
    Most half links are also master links so the the Powerlink issue should be mute.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Most half links are also master links so the the Powerlink issue should be mute.
    None of the 3/32 half links I've found are master links.

mtbr member
    I've never seen one either. And I have encountered your exact situation. I ended up riveting the half link into my PC-48, and using the master link 1 link down the chain. I just used a normal Park chain tool. I've never had any problems with the rivet I set, and it's got a lot of miles on it now.

I tried to use the quick link on the half link, but I also found it slightly too wide. Just rivet it in and forget it.

None of the 3/32 half links I've found are master links.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky
    I've never seen one either. And I have encountered your exact situation. I ended up riveting the half link into my PC-48, and using the master link 1 link down the chain. I just used a normal Park chain tool. I've never had any problems with the rivet I set, and it's got a lot of miles on it now.

I tried to use the quick link on the half link, but I also found it slightly too wide. Just rivet it in and forget it.
    It's funny, but that's exactly what I did with mine as well. It's worked fine so far, but I'm just trying to find out if there's a better way.

Why are both KMC and Gusset half links too wide? Why is it so hard to make one to the correct spec?

I'm just messing with you
    Why are both KMC and Gusset half links too wide? Why is it so hard to make one to the correct spec?
    It's a conspiracy involving them and the builders of dedicated single-speed frames.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Just buy a half link chain and be done with it: http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/g...32-nickel.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by swaldrop
    Just buy a half link chain and be done with it: http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/g...32-nickel.html
    Too heavy and entirely unneeded. There's no point in having more than one half link in a bicycle chain.

mtbr member
    Too heavy and entirely unneeded. There's no point in having more than one half link in a bicycle chain.
    OK. You might want to post your question in the weight weenie form then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Buy a KMC Chain

I have been running a KMC chain with a KMC halflink for about 6 months now and have been happier with the fit. You still have to twist the link once it's in the chain but it fits nicer than with a sram chain. And yes I insert it within the chain and not at the master link.
    I ride a singlespeed because it's harder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    OK. You might want to post your question in the weight weenie form then.
    There's a big difference between adding weight for no reason and being a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    There's a big difference between adding weight for no reason and being a weight weenie.
    I suppose it all depends on what you feel a good reason is. I wanted a good solution that allowed me to run the shortest chain I could. I found that a half link chain, although a bit heavier, did exactly that with absolutely zero fear of some flaky set up.

To each his own. My bike still only weighs 32 lbs so there. (only?)

local trails rider
    ... can you join a SRAM chain with a Shimano pin?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I suppose it all depends on what you feel a good reason is. I wanted a good solution that allowed me to run the shortest chain I could. I found that a half link chain, although a bit heavier, did exactly that with absolutely zero fear of some flaky set up.

To each his own. My bike still only weighs 32 lbs so there. (only?)
    I have a good solution. I'm looking for a better solution.

If your bike is a cross country rig, then 32 pounds is pretty heavy.

I prefer light, fast, and agile.

mtbr member
    I have a good solution. I'm looking for a better solution.

If your bike is a cross country rig, then 32 pounds is pretty heavy.

I prefer light, fast, and agile.
    I was being sarcastic. My bike is a pig for sure, especially for being a 26er hardtail SS! But weight just isn't that crucial to me. I have no issues going where I need to go and I have never (yet) busted a chain and don't want to either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was being sarcastic. My bike is a pig for sure, especially for being a 26er hardtail SS! But weight just isn't that crucial to me. I have no issues going where I need to go and I have never (yet) busted a chain and don't want to either.
    I'm not trying to be an ass with this question, but have you ever tried a light hardtail before? I'm talking sub 23 pounds.

mtbr member
    I'm not trying to be an ass with this question, but have you ever tried a light hardtail before? I'm talking sub 23 pounds.
    Years ago (before I ever started riding motocross and got out of MTBing for a long time) I had a titanium lightspeed. I traded that frame for a basic (but really pretty blue and brand new) Cannondale because I was retarded and had no idea what I had. I then replaced that with a '99 SWorks FSR that I built from the ground up. It weighed in at just over 24 lbs. I loved that bike and put a lot of work into it (and loads of dough). I spent tons of money and was always tinkering and had a great time.

Now it is ten years later and that stuff just doesn't really matter as much as it once did. I have a wife and kid now and I still have to support my MX habit. If someone wanted to give me a sub 23 lb hardtail, I would surely take it, but I would rather just ride now whenever I can, PIG or not.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by aka Brad
    Most half links are also master links so the the Powerlink issue should be mute
    None of the 3/32 half links I've found are master links
    My bad; I meant I use 1/2 links as a master links as they do not have riveted pins.

It's funny, but that's exactly what I did with mine as well. It's worked fine so far, but I'm just trying to find out if there's a better way.

The 3/32 half links made by KMC and Gusset are designed to work on their respective non multi-speed rated 3/32 chains. Multi-speed rated chains (i.e. SRAM PC #8) have thinner plates because their OD must meet a spec and the single speed 3/32 chains do not.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

default title
    No quick link will fit half links (3/32). I've tried them all.

I use "BMX" style master links and quicklinks. I like to fix up a half link with the inner half of a chain link. This gives you a 1-1/2 link that you can pop in using a bmx link and quicklink. It makes it a lot easier to change chain length if you ever use different gearings.
    ___
    _

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Most half links are also master links so the the Powerlink issue should be moot.
    Fixt.

Sorry, pet peeve.
    Winter tip: Don't make snow angels in dog parks.

Members who have read this thread: 0