Confused about gear ratio!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Confused about gear ratio!!!

Right now I am running 38/18 with 170mm cranks. Here is the problem. Just cruising around it is great. But when I go trail riding in the muddy areas and loose soil areas it is way to hard to pedal. I would like to keep the 38 and change the rear what would be a better in the rear 16 or 14 or do I need to go up like 20 or more?

Bananas...mmm
    To simplify, the larger the rear cog or the smaller the front ring, the easier to pedal. Sounds like you need to get a larger rear cog (19T would give you a 2:1 ratio, but you'll likely need something bigger).
    Work to live, don't live to work...

Bite Me.
    yes - you need to go bigger in the back to get more climbing juice. With a 38 up front, I'd suggest at least a 20 if you're doing anything relatively steep - I run a 32 - 20 for the terrain here in Western Colo., but that can be some pretty hairy ascending (and I don't like suffering much )
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I run a 32/19 and it gets me through the Virginia mud just fine. I often think about doing a larger chain ring, then I realize I only have one speed. I am a little slower on flat ground but hills and mud come a lot easier.
    '05 Salsa DosNiner Singlespeed
    '04 Specialized Hard Rock Comp
    '04 Salsa Bandito

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by spin02
    I run a 32/19 and it gets me through the Virginia mud just fine. I often think about doing a larger chain ring, then I realize I only have one speed. I am a little slower on flat ground but hills and mud come a lot easier.
    I myslef run 32/16, and this is in tight technical and hilly northeast single track. I like this gearing, becasue it is not too hard, but at times in deep snow or mud, it could be pretty tiring.
    DAVE

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    are you running 26 or 29, that makes a big difference, i run 32x18 on 26 and 32x20 on my 29er. i ride in montana and it is pretty steep and hilly but that works pretty well, 2 to 1 is a little much here but i know some people run it. you can check gear inches on sheldon browns web site.

moe.
    Sep 2005

I ride 32:20 but am getting ready to experiment.

I ride 32:20 on my 29er out here in the California desert. We have some long sustained steep climbs for our winter riding so I am looking forward to trying the 21t and 22t. When I ride in higher elevations around here I can probably go 32:19. I just ordered a 21t, 22t and 19t to play around with. I have used my 18t around town and spin out too much. I have a 16t and 14t I have never even tried out and should probably sell.
    "These people take a dump thatís a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

Members who have read this thread: 0