Complitely OT- Mtbr.com

Thread: Complitely OT

mtbr member

Complitely OT

Ok, this has been bugging me since Friday...well, since the last 2 weeks.

I'm a professional. Not in the bicycle world, more like in the business world. I have helped the likes of American Family Insurance, Miller Park, Trombetta, etc., a lot of Wisconsin companies...so 2 weeks ago, my boss forgot to pay me. I played dumb abd said that I forgot to pick up my check, so then I was paid two weeks ago on a Monday. That's what did it, brought it up to her.

I am not going to say what agency I am working with...but she forgot to pay me again this past Friday. It's Tuesday now and she's in Mexico. Yesterday, translated materials that I worked on were due...they were really due on the 17th. She said she was going to proof them and never did. The printer needed the Spanish translations ASAP. So I took on all decisions and made it happen. And it pissed me off that she lied to me and to the print shop. GA! Irresponsibility is not in my book, yet, I just found out she is veryt irresponsible.

She doesn't like the fact that I have ridden to work. Why? I don't know. She lives 3 blocks from here in downtown Milwaukee...yet she drives to work...

I need some advice please, from one SS brother to many others.

Last night I spent a good chunk of time sending out resumes through Monster and some local employment sites.

GA!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

All I can say is.....

Think Your decision's over carefully. With a "bun in the oven" insurance is an over-riding priority and if You do switch jobs You do not want any lag time for coverage. Good hunting!

mtbr member

no insurance

Quote Originally Posted by gearless
    Think Your decision's over carefully. With a "bun in the oven" insurance is an over-riding priority and if You do switch jobs You do not want any lag time for coverage. Good hunting!
    I'm not worried. I don't have insurance with these people. Sarah, my lovely succubus, is the one providing us with insurance. The RH Phillips winery she works for, kept her on. She works remotely from WI for her California office. She's one of the most efficient and speedy graphic designers for the winery that they didn't hesitate to let her work from such a long distance.

Speaking of insurance, I have to go to an eye doctor appt. today. New glasses are alright.

Anyway, with AdventureFind, my boss here wanted for me to help the company grow, but not if it's going to be a cause of embarrassement when it comes to lying and not proofing work we're promising a client. GA! It's just sucks big monkey balls.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

once bitten twice shy

writing's on the wall.
    time for me to fly.
    it's been real.

Do you want a few more cliche's
    I've been inside too long.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin

She doesn't like the fact that I have ridden to work. Why? I don't know. She lives 3 blocks from here in downtown Milwaukee...yet she drives to work...

Last night I spent a good chunk of time sending out resumes through Monster and some local employment sites.

GA!
    While she is in mexico, go in her office and do gross stuff to her chair and pencils. it will be really satisfying. the hardest part will be not to start laughing when she is chewing on her pen that you shoved into a pile of your own poo.

start your own translating business. flexible hours and sexy chihuahuas.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    While she is in mexico, go in her office and do gross stuff to her chair and pencils. it will be really satisfying. the hardest part will be not to start laughing when she is chewing on her pen that you shoved into a pile of your own poo.

start your own translating business. flexible hours and sexy chihuahuas.
    HA! no, that's too gross. My own poop is gross. http://www.adventurefind.com/translation.html

I know that after the eye doc. I am going to ride. And I am going to ride SS, because SS cleans the soul, and my bike is nice.

Lazy People Suck
    HA! no, that's too gross. My own poop is gross. http://www.adventurefind.com/translation.html

I know that after the eye doc. I am going to ride. And I am going to ride SS, because SS cleans the soul, and my bike is nice.
    Have you tried the ENO hub on your singlespeed? I hear they work pretty well. I am not sure where you can get info on them though.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member

don't be a weenie

Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    Have you tried the ENO hub on your singlespeed? I hear they work pretty well. I am not sure where you can get info on them though.
    Don't play dork. I am the ENO advocate on the forum.

Lazy People Suck
    Don't play dork. I am the ENO advocate on the forum.
    Just trying to lighten up your somber mood. Apparently it didn't work. Go have a good ride.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Probably drunk right now

A couple of questions....

I'm a professional. Not in the bicycle world, more like in the business world. I have helped the likes of American Family Insurance, Miller Park, Trombetta, etc., a lot of Wisconsin companies...so 2 weeks ago, my boss forgot to pay me. I played dumb abd said that I forgot to pick up my check, so then I was paid two weeks ago on a Monday. That's what did it, brought it up to her.

I am not going to say what agency I am working with...but she forgot to pay me again this past Friday. It's Tuesday now and she's in Mexico. Yesterday, translated materials that I worked on were due...they were really due on the 17th. She said she was going to proof them and never did. The printer needed the Spanish translations ASAP. So I took on all decisions and made it happen. And it pissed me off that she lied to me and to the print shop. GA! Irresponsibility is not in my book, yet, I just found out she is veryt irresponsible.

GA!
    1. Do you like the job?
    2. Do you want to keep working there?
    3. Do you beleive that you can help the company grow?
    4. Is the company profitable?

If your answers are yes, then perhaps a meeting with your boss outlining your concerns and objections, along with a plan to help prevent this in the future?

The paycheck deal seems very easy to me, just pay someone to manage that. Whether it's an accountant on retainer (py them hourly for the work they do) or a paycheck service. Either approach will likely save the company money.

Then again, if you don't think your boss would be receptive to suggestions or improvement ideas, then perhaps it's time to move on.

Ken

Single Speed Junkie
    I would remind her that your services are not free and that you require an agreed upon salary in order to continue employment with that orginization. Since this is the second time it has happened be a bit more direct instead of playing the fool, also start documenting everything from paydays missed and the time it took to actually see your check incase this progresses into a more serious matter.
    Just my 0.02.

FUD

Jan 2004

you should

get on your bike (assuming you rode in) and head down to Water street. Sit on the patio at The Harp and get drunk at the company's expense. That's what I'd do anyways. work's for chumps.

mtbr member

Upset I appreciate all the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by FUD
    get on your bike (assuming you rode in) and head down to Water street. Sit on the patio at The Harp and get drunk at the company's expense. That's what I'd do anyways. work's for chumps.
    Yes, I like working here. It's a challenge. No, I don't like not being paid on time.

FUD, you're in the Milwaukee area? If you do, let's do that and get so drunk...puking style by noon. Then we'll come in here and we can puke some more.

The nice thing is that FedEx just arrived and left a nice black Surly Pacer in the office for me. Tonight, I will build it to be SS, ENO style!

FUD

Jan 2004

pacers are fast

I don't live in WI anymore, I'm to the south and west a bit, but I get over there at least every summer. Water street's the place to be when its warm. East sides good to, but not pukin' style good, more like poseur-ish, ride to the coffee shop good. milwaukee's a fun town.

mtbr member

My first Gnome Post....

Ernesto,

Found this story about Gnomes...thought it might help cheer you up.

In ancient Europe, Russia and Siberia, gnomes were seen in all walks of life and at any time of year and have been treated as regular members of society. If treated fairly, gnomes would return this kindness, otherwise trick the people that acted poorly towards them. Everyone regarded them as a part of a normal way of life. At that time, the river water was clear, the trees were refreshing, quiet roads led from village to village, and dotting the skies were flying birds and twinkling stars; however, times changed and the gnomes were forced to hide in caves or underground. They tried not to allow themselves to be seen by people. Therefore, fewer and fewer people believed the very existence of the gnomes. The fact is, however, if you didn't look carefully, you wouldn't be able to see rabbits in the grass or the spotted deer in the forest. The same was true with the gnomes. Though they were not seen, they did exist. Now that we pay more attention to the preservation of natural resources, it may be possible to see the gnomes again. More and more people have gradually realized that they had paid little attention to nature, but like a good mother, nature had extended mercy upon these people and allowed them to see the gnomes once again.

MC

GA!

I like to ride bikes!

Pacer?

Pacer? What happened to the C.dale? Not like I really care what you did to the beer can just curious.

Bill

Jed Peters
    Want to host house us for superweek if we decide to go?

www.justthebonnet.com
    Ernesto you are too funny!!! Don't fret I found you a better job, though you may have to relocate:

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob....d=&fn=&q=tacos

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's what ya get for leaving NorCal!

GA!
    Seriously, that's tough to deal with. I think you need to sit down with her and lay out your concerns.

If she's the owner of the bus you're working for get out, twice in a row should be a red flag.

Good luck.

mtbr member

Beer cans welded together

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    Pacer? What happened to the C.dale? Not like I really care what you did to the beer can just curious.

Bill
    This is what's happening to the alu can: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Don't get mad at me. I like it, but the clearance for larger tires was nil, and it rode rougher for my lazy butt. But at least you got a cool Surly too!

Soon, this frame will also go on ebunk: http://www.adventurefind.com/images/...0copy/roo1.JPG

mtbr member

total red flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    Seriously, that's tough to deal with. I think you need to sit down with her and lay out your concerns.

If she's the owner of the bus you're working for get out, twice in a row should be a red flag.

Good luck.
    I know what you mean. Sometimes we miss NorCal and seeing you ride the yellow bike at some of the Cross races in Sac. Yes Roger, I do remember you.

Anyway, we left NorCal because we were homesick, and it's ceaper here, and the WORS series and 12 hr series...we're very comfortable here. It's hillier here than Davis/Woodland, and it's very SS friendly. I like all 4 seasons here. But workwise, I'll just continue on with AdventureFind and forget this place. I'll probably just freelance for this business and that's it. I'll just keep on doing what I was doing. Riding my bike, loving Sarah, and doing AdventureFind work.

Here, I have to drive 26 miles in my gas-thirsty SUV Jeep Liberty with a V6. I hate driving. We got that thing to go to the woods, not commuting.

GAAAAAA!!!!

I need a gnome-like hug. I need to work for a Taco burrito place, I need my eye exam. Actually, I do have an eye dr. appointment this afternoon. My eyes are deteriorating, and it's rather hard to differentiate between mexicans and puerto ricans.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... message from the human resources department

errr.. ernesto, how much time you put into this board every day? maybe mtbreview.com is hiring... you could multi-task.

you know, just a thought.