mtbr member

Commuters, what do you do?

Commuters, I am in need of a new lock to, of course, lock up my SS Cross Check. I am not locking it up in a sketchy area but a bike can be stolen anytime, anywhere as we all know. I have a friend who works for a lock distributor and can purchase, for me, any lock made by Master Lock or Kryptonite. I am seriously considering the Master Lock Street Cuff with the single link. Nothing on my Cross Check is quick release, so I am not all that concerned about having to lace a lock through the wheels and frame or should I be?

What I’m looking for is anyone’s thoughts on the Street Cuff or any other bike lock.

Thanks!
    "Hesh wants poppers!"

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    The Street Cuff still uses the cylindrical keys that can potentially be picked with the mighty BIC. People have written to Masterlock about it. I had one and didn't like it. It was unreliable. At times, the cuffs would not release and it took me about 2 minutes of messing with the lock to get it open. Some actually thought I was trying to steal my own bike because I look like I was struggling.

Also, the cuffs aren't as versatile as a u-lock, which can be bolted to anything. My Street Cuff was limited and I had to sometimes ride around and look for a meter or pole that would fit.

I really wanted to like it, but in the end I just returned it. The water bottle cage bracket they make is pretty handy though. Bicycling Magazine did a review on it they too said to pass on it and to wait for the second generation, if such a thing is planned. Masterlock has not been receptive to people callling and writing in sugggesting a change in the cylindrical key. Instead of addressing the issue, they maintain that their locks are secure and then go on the emphasis their high dollar bike replacement assurance program.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I think if you head over to www.bikeforums.net you can do a search and find alot of post on Street Cuff. Someone posted a link to their homepage to show their busted lock after their BMX was stolen.

There are some reviews here on mtbr.com too.

Look at the time!
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel

I had seen this site while searching for reviews about the Street Cuff. His was the 9-Link version. I am interested in the single link version.

So far it seems people do not recommend this lock. Other recommendations then?
    "Hesh wants poppers!"

mtbr member
    New York Chain with the new upgraded lock.

mtbr member

can you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid6.7
    Commuters, I am in need of a new lock to, of course, lock up my SS Cross Check. I am not locking it up in a sketchy area but a bike can be stolen anytime, anywhere as we all know. I have a friend who works for a lock distributor and can purchase, for me, any lock made by Master Lock or Kryptonite. I am seriously considering the Master Lock Street Cuff with the single link. Nothing on my Cross Check is quick release, so I am not all that concerned about having to lace a lock through the wheels and frame or should I be?

What I’m looking for is anyone’s thoughts on the Street Cuff or any other bike lock.

Thanks!
    Can you keep your bike indoors near you? Mine stays in my office.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

couple of words of locking advice

get a good chain, if you dont want to damage your bike make sure its covered (an old tube works great). by good chain i mean something like a Kryptonite new york chain, or one of the master lock tuff chains. then get a good padlock, not a simple master lock, maybe a kryptonite disc lock, or if you really want to go fancy, look for any padlock with raised edges (i think its called a shrouded shackle) and maybe a medeco lock mechanism...or an abloy padlock. lock up your bike to something very secure (trees are not secure, parking meters not that secure). i'm told by a lock pick friend that medeco and abloy locks are very very difficult, if not impossible to pick, and anything built correctly with boron steel will be very difficult to break through

http://www.universalboot.com/products/Medeco-Locks.html

http://www.abloyusa.com/padlocks.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Can you keep your bike indoors near you? Mine stays in my office.

Yeah, my bikes are locked up indoors whenever I am not riding them. I'm making a move from Minnesota to Arizona this July as my fiancé has been offered a rather nice job. I'll be substitute teaching in the southwest valley (Avondale area) and I plan to commute on my Cross Check. I'll be locking it up at the schools with all of the student’s bikes but that's not to say that it's "safe." Everywhere I've lived in Minnesota, having a high quality and secure lock was never really an issue. All I had to do was have a lock on it and it was safe. Of course I never left it locked up over night or anywhere sketchy. I'm moving somewhere new and the last thing I want to do is come outside at 3:00 p.m. or so and find my bike gone.
    "Hesh wants poppers!"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Hellish commute. I get out of bed and walk/stumble the 20 feet to my computer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Quote Originally Posted by williamf777
    New York Chain with the new upgraded lock.

That's what I used to lock up my bike in downtown Chicago and never had a problem. Just sling it over your shoulder when riding and it stays out of the way. You can take it to a body shop and have them cut it to length (doing it yourself with a hacksaw would take days). A messenger friend of mine made a belt out of one that way . Not sure how much luck he had with it holding his pants up though...

hands up who wants to die
    Don't buy the Street Cuffs. they don't work. Most bike shops in urban areas do not sell them for this reason. They look "cool," but don't function as a security device.

Buy the biggest chain you can find and put the stoutest padlock you can find on it. Take a gander at the Kryptonite Fuhgettaboutit to get a general idea.

-r

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if you value your bike drop the cash for the krypto chain.

i had a nice bike once, locked up with a kryto u-lock (GONE)...

now for my crosscheck i use a combo of a u-lock (backwheel to frame and rack) and NY chain (frontwheel to frame and rack). i am probably jinxing myslef here but even in center city philly i feel safe leaving my bike all day.

WARNING THESE CHAINS ARE HEAVY! but since you seem to be going to the same place everyday just leave it locked to the rack, thats what i do.

Cubicle Fugitive

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    if you value your bike drop the cash for the krypto chain.

i had a nice bike once, locked up with a kryto u-lock (GONE)...

now for my crosscheck i use a combo of a u-lock (backwheel to frame and rack) and NY chain (frontwheel to frame and rack). i am probably jinxing myslef here but even in center city philly i feel safe leaving my bike all day.

WARNING THESE CHAINS ARE HEAVY! but since you seem to be going to the same place everyday just leave it locked to the rack, thats what i do.
    solution: (if your facility approves of it). leave the lock at the locking location.

and, shiggy, I hate you for your commute.

bicyclist
    when i commute by bike (as opposed to carpooling or taking the bus), i ride an old women's Norco that is worth about $20, and take off the front wheel, put it against a pole, and go through both wheels and the frame and around the pole with a cable lock. the bike has no niceness factor, and is behind some trees from the road side (it's like a highway in that there are no pedestrians and everyone goes really fast) and clearly visible to anyone on the first floor of the building so i'm not worried...
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    and, shiggy, I hate you for your commute.
    And I have to ride 1/4-mile of PAVEMENT!! to get to the trailhead!!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

The no bike weighs less than 50 pounds theory

I was told this theory by an old rider when I was a lad and excessively proud of my sub 20 lb bike.

It goes like this:

There is no such thing as a bike that weighs less than 50lbs, because
    a 50lb bike needs no lock
    a 40lb bike needs a 10lb lock
    a 30lb bike needs a 20lb lock
    a 20lb bike needs a 30lb lock,
    etc
    therefore all bikes weigh 50lbs
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member

Well,

thanks for all of the advice. I've picked up a "junker" bike I'm going to strip down and SS out for commuting. Ill be locking it up with a cheap u-lock. If it gets stolen, oh well.
    "Hesh wants poppers!"