Commuter setup Q- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Commuter setup Q

So I finally ditched the frankensingle conversion & got a new to me True SS from a ridin' bud. It came w/a Surly flipflop hub setup 16T / 17T w/a 32 up front. I'm thinkin' about commuting in to the office about 15+ mi on saturday's but it's about 50/50 road / bike path and I need a lower gear.

What's about the smallest freewheel you can get? I'm running ACS claw now so something of similar cost is what I'm looking for.

Another q, if I switch to much more than a 1 or 2 T drop between sides how much of a hassle will it be to adjust the chain tension when I flip the wheel? Right now I'm not running a tugnut or any other type of tensioner if that's relevant.

Out spokin'
    If you want a lower gear, you want a larger freewheel, not a smaller one.

If you plan things right, you can carry an extra Power Link and the disparity between cogs won't force you to move the hub too much. I haven't figured it out, but anyway you'll easily be able to enlage the chain to accommodate the bigger cog.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by texacajun
    So I finally ditched the frankensingle conversion & got a new to me True SS from a ridin' bud. It came w/a Surly flipflop hub setup 16T / 17T w/a 32 up front. I'm thinkin' about commuting in to the office about 15+ mi on saturday's but it's about 50/50 road / bike path and I need a lower gear.

What's about the smallest freewheel you can get? I'm running ACS claw now so something of similar cost is what I'm looking for.

Another q, if I switch to much more than a 1 or 2 T drop between sides how much of a hassle will it be to adjust the chain tension when I flip the wheel? Right now I'm not running a tugnut or any other type of tensioner if that's relevant.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    If you want a lower gear, you want a larger freewheel, not a smaller one.
    Well I guess I said that bassackwards...no, definitely want a smaller freewheel. I'm spinning out 2:1 i.e. 32/16. Lowest I usually see online are 15T, didn't know if you could get like 12 or 13, probably 14 would do.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Check out Danscomp.com. They have plenty of freewheels there. I saw a 13T Oddyssey one listed. However, I'm not sure if they have different threading than the sizes we usually use in mountain biking, i.e., 16T and higher. I guess you can ask 'em if you order one.

If I were in the same shoes, I'd rather go bigger front chainring so that it wouldn't wear down as fast as a smaller ring/fw combo.

Well I guess I said that bassackwards...no, definitely want a smaller freewheel. I'm spinning out 2:1 i.e. 32/16. Lowest I usually see online are 15T, didn't know if you could get like 12 or 13, probably 14 would do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm with drevil

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Check out Danscomp.com. They have plenty of freewheels there. I saw a 13T Oddyssey one listed. However, I'm not sure if they have different threading than the sizes we usually use in mountain biking, i.e., 16T and higher. I guess you can ask 'em if you order one.

If I were in the same shoes, I'd rather go bigger front chainring so that it wouldn't wear down as fast as a smaller ring/fw combo.
    - go with a larger chainring if you can. It may be a few bucks more but larger chainring/cog combos give more teeth involved in drive which gives less wear.
    Also, bigger chainring will make ya look like a monster! used to love bombing around with my 53T [with 7 speed sachs hub]
    /Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil

Thanks, yeah they've got a few in smaller sizes. Might try the 14 & see how I like it...only out 20 bucks. Wear's not a big issue, only commute in on Sat 4 or 5 times each spring...naturally on the nicest days of the year to ride. If I decide to head offroad on the way home I can just flip the wheel around to the 17 & go

-> SickLines.com <-
    Thanks, yeah they've got a few in smaller sizes. Might try the 14 & see how I like it...only out 20 bucks. Wear's not a big issue, only commute in on Sat 4 or 5 times each spring...naturally on the nicest days of the year to ride. If I decide to head offroad on the way home I can just flip the wheel around to the 17 & go
    I might be interested in your 16/17 freewheel. Send me an email. opaque1234@aol.com

Staggering sober
    I run a 44 16 on my commuter but I don't use it for anything serious off road. I can climb a pretty steep pitch on it if it's not more than a hundred yards or so and I have good traction.

Tim

mtbr member

check thread size

It's been a while since I looked at the smaller fw's, but I thought once you got lower than a 15t you were using freewheels that fit on the smaller diameter threads for use on BMX bikes so they can run a smaller drivetrain for more grinding clearance. Just check diameters before you drop the coin.