Commter gearing- Mtbr.com

Thread: Commter gearing

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Commter gearing

So, stole my wifes C'dale F400. She hasnt ridden it since I got it for her, so I am going to make it into a SS rigid commuter for myself.

Adding Origin 8 fork, and upgrading brake pads and cables and going your standard SS route. But was wondering what everyone is using for gearing for commuter riding. Mostly flat where I live, and I am mostly using it to get in shape for riding season, so dont mind pushing big gears.

Give me your 411!

mtbr member
    You might check the commuter forum for tips too. I run 42x18 for a mostly flat commute. I can still push it seated on some long gentle uphills.

There is a great resource here that will help you calculate a "magic" gear for your chainstay length. For my bike above, if I go to a 19 tooth cog and a half link, I can get rid of the ghetto tensioner. I will spin a little more, but no huge deal.

Good luck

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I have a fairly hilly commute, at least on the way home, and run around a 70" gear on my commuter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    42x16 on my 700c commuter here (69.0 gear inches). Could certainly push a taller gear for my flat commutes, but this bike takes me up in the hills when the trails are sloppy. I've found 70-80 gear inches to be about ideal for commuting. Closer to 80 if it's flat or closer to 70 if it's hilly or often headwindy.

smell the saddle...
    48x16 here, all flat and through one tunnel (better down then up with speed). I have to mash/push hard to get going but it works well for me. The Salsa 48T chainring used to slightly rub on my Surly 1X1 chainstay, so I went to a slightly wider BB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    29er with big apple balloons and I run 42x18. It's flat as hell here though.
    2007 Schwinn Fastback CX
    2009 Motobecane Outcast 29er 42/16 SS (commuter)
    2006 Gary Fisher RIG (frame up build) 32/18 SS

Ovaries on the Outside
    70 gear inches is probably pretty ideal for everything, though with 1.5" or larger, I knock it down several gear inches if there are hills, though not as low as 60.

Apr 2007
    48x18 on my fixed road bike. Pretty hilly here. If it were flat, I'd go down to 16 or less in the back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    44x15 for my fixed road ride around CT i can handle most hills

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    42x18 on a cross bike gets me everywhere! Little but steep hills around here.

mtbr member
    42X16 on a fixie commuter with cross tires because i like to hope curbs and so forth. i find it just right for my commute which is a good balance on flats and hills but it is a fairly short commute. i will say that i have done 50 plus miles on road rides on the same bike and still think that it is the right ratio for me. i am doing an 88 mile road ride really soon but i here that it is quite flat. we will see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    a "crazy" 49x22 here. hills everywhere I turn around here it seems. A returning cyclist so experimented with 16t, 18t, then 20t but once i tested the 22t it was just "perfect".

Dont care much about speed, I have concluded that this is a reflection of my general terrain and my present state of health...moreso the health, but I can climb them thar hills now and can stay out riding much longer because I'm not so spent. As I get healthier I'll get to more honor-worthy ratios..

mtbr member
    your riding/commuting by bike... that is honor-worthy.

Members who have read this thread: 0