colored chain for Singe speed...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

colored chain for Singe speed...

i see that a few bikes (SS) have colored chains on there bikes. Where do i buy something like this?
    I roam the streets of the city...

GIT-R-DONE!
    KMC makes a few take a look at Jensonusa.com
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was actualy looking for a red one... (the only one they don't have)

But is a colored chain weeker than a normal chain considering that the allowy or something might be weeker or less dence...?

GIT-R-DONE!
    Try this one or speedgoat
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    They're actually just painted, so you won't have to worry about strength.

mtbr member
    Wipperman makes colored chains...and in red too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    THanks. Also these will work in any normal teeth right?

And can they work with an 8 speed rear derauluer as well? Or will it scrape the paint off?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i know the kmc is for single speed only, i've been running the pink one all summer. it is shot now but that is normal since i wore out my whole drive train this summer. it looks cool and i didn't break it so that is a bonus.

conjoinicorned
    no, they don't work with a derailleur. they are 1/8" wide, you need a 3/32" for a derailleur.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dtimms
    i know the kmc is for single speed only, i've been running the pink one all summer. it is shot now but that is normal since i wore out my whole drive train this summer. it looks cool and i didn't break it so that is a bonus.
    What do you mean by break it in?

no, they don't work with a derailleur. they are 1/8" wide, you need a 3/32" for a derailleur.
    ok, but would the work with a chain tensoner at least (with ss)?

AKA Dr.Nob
    I'm running a blue BMX chain. They are wider. Most chain tensioners I've seen work with these chains. I run a DaBomb tensioner and it works really well. Another added bonus is they're cheeper than MTB chains. Just be careful when breaking them because some cheaper chain breakers are only made for the narrower MTB chains.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbymark
    I'm running a blue BMX chain. They are wider. Most chain tensioners I've seen work with these chains. I run a DaBomb tensioner and it works really well. Another added bonus is they're cheeper than MTB chains. Just be careful when breaking them because some cheaper chain breakers are only made for the narrower MTB chains.
    Ok, but WHAT is the break in thing, I have NEVER heard of that?

igoslo
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfreerider
    Ok, but WHAT is the break in thing, I have NEVER heard of that?
    Nobody's talking about breaking anything in.

dtimms was saying that it was a good thing that he didn't BREAK his chain over the summer, as in broken, no more worky.

gumbymark is referring to a chain breaker(chain tool) as in separating links to shorten your chain to an appropriate length.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloRider
    Nobody's talking about breaking anything in.

dtimms was saying that it was a good thing that he didn't BREAK his chain over the summer, as in broken, no more worky.

gumbymark is referring to a chain breaker(chain tool) as in separating links to shorten your chain to an appropriate length.
    ohhh ok, wow i was starting to get worried there for second. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. i will definatly get that red chain that was linked above.

One more question, Why are colored chains cheaper than normal chains?

AKA Dr.Nob
    Coloured chains aren't cheeper than other chains, BMX chains are cheaper because they don't have to be made to weave through 27 gears.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbymark
    Coloured chains aren't cheeper than other chains, BMX chains are cheaper because they don't have to be made to weave through 27 gears.
    That is so SWEEET!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Actualy I was reading some articals and they said that a half link chain was way better than a normal chain. Does anyone know of any half link red chains?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just bought a Half link chain for my SS... very different from what i am use to in the past. Much more heavy duty .. I went on my first ride with the new half link chain and it did seem to make a difference. maybe all in my head.
    But mine came from The Shadow conspiracy and is called a interlock 2

igoslo
    I've never seen a colored half link chain, I have however run Shadow Conspiracy chains, both Interlock and Interlock 2. After getting over the bling factor I decided that it wasn't really worth the extra $22 over a standard PC-1. I found very little increase in chain life at the cost of some extra weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ok i found this one but why is it so much?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1614

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    42.00!?!? i pay like 8 bucks for an 8 speed Z chain and so ok its not RED but who gives a **** after ten minutes on the trail it looks like dirt any how.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    well i can tell ya this much, half link has no where near the amount of flex as a (normal) chain. They also have alot more adjustability. umm Kinda like shaft drive for your bike ....no side twist .. strech .. whats that.. way beefer .. its a bit more money at your local bike shop .. but have found they for about $26 off the internet. I would have never thought so until i tried one.. and as beefy as this cahin is.. doubt i will be replacing anywhere near as a (normal) chain if ever .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SC RockLobster
    well i can tell ya this much, half link has no where near the amount of flex as a (normal) chain. They also have alot more adjustability. umm Kinda like shaft drive for your bike ....no side twist .. strech .. whats that.. way beefer .. its a bit more money at your local bike shop .. but have found they for about $26 off the internet. I would have never thought so until i tried one.. and as beefy as this cahin is.. doubt i will be replacing anywhere near as a (normal) chain if ever .
    you should be hvin mo beirs first yo post on the intranet it will much improve yur grammer

igoslo
    Quote Originally Posted by SC RockLobster
    When I got mine I thought exactly the same thing, the chain will stretch however, not for a while but once it happens it'll go quite quickly. My first one looked good at about 1200 miles and went to **** around 1400. The Interlock 2 didn't last quite as long as my first one and after that one snapped on the trail it was time for a change. Of course, if you like it, ride it, but personally, I'm done with high dollar chains.

boomer
    I went this route for my blue chain; looks killer and functions well. (eBay link)
    Calvin

I can break anything

Green Chain?!

Anyone know where I can get a LIME GREEN chain?! I have one on my sportbike and am re-finishing my Monocog 29er and would like a green chain on that too...

Thanks CK

Members who have read this thread: 0