Which cogs to buy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Which cogs to buy

New to SS. Just bought a GF Marlin SS. Looking to buy additional cogs. Which type/brand will work with my existing setup. Please tell me what my options are. Thanks

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    what's your budget? you can get cheap stamped steel ones for like $5 each or you can spend over a couple hundred dollars on singlestar's ti cogs. And anywhere in between.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The same type that is on the bike now is fine. I'm assuming its a cheap one.

openwound
    What type of hub do you have -- is it a freehub or does it take a thread-on type of cog?

Dan (I suck at riding) is, as per usual, being modest. He makes really sweet cogs and rings...just click the linky linky there in his sig.
    -- let's ride

I hate that name.
    It looks like the Marlin SS uses a freewheel
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Steel really strong and offset so you can fine tune the chainline and reasonably priced and last forever=Surley This is the best low buck way; everything else costs more but weighs less.

Much lighter, aluminum, light, reasonable price=Niner or ISuckAt Riding; the Niner are standardized and about $3 cheaper but the ISuckAtRiding are way more customizable. Also, the Niner ones are offset. Aluminum will last a season or so, but they are not as durable as other metals. They are the lightest possible though, and around twice as much as steel.

Aluminum carrier and Stainless or Ti teeth with offset=ISuckAtRiding

Stainless, no offset=ISuckAtRiding

Ti, no offset=ISuckAtRiding

Whatever you do, do not buy the Chris King 18 tooth aluminum cog. I rode mine one ride 18 miles and there were visible dents in the teeth. And that was with a 32 front and I am 56 years old and 170#. It was steep though.

30-ton War Machine
    you have a couple choices for a freewheel. Shimano BMX, White Industries or Dicta. Shimano have a rep for being VERY reliable, if you ride in mud the White Industries ones will be throw-aways about every three months or so. No idea on Dicta.

I hate that name.
    The new ACS Crossfire freewheels are supposed to be nice, better than the old ACS anyway.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    If you need a freewheel, white industries is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a SS 18t cog from ISAR and it's a beast! Very durable. He recommended I get the SS since I'm not a racer. A little bit more weight but way more durable than aluminum, but cheaper than ti. I have a Aluminum chain ring from him as well and it shows no wear yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thoughts on Chris King Cogs, I know they are expensive, but the are cheaper than Homebrewed stainless steel cogs. How do they hold up?

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Thoughts on Chris King Cogs, I know they are expensive, but the are cheaper than Homebrewed stainless steel cogs. How do they hold up?
    The Stainless cogs work great and will hold up for many seasons. Aluminum cogs will work, but will not last as long. If your buying one go for the stainless option.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    ... Aluminum cogs will work, but will not last as long. ...
    Understatement. King aluminum cogs are not good for anything more stressful than wearing on a string around your neck. I had a 19t that wore out in one ride, and I mean WORE OUT.

I also have 17, 18, 19, 20t King cogs in stainless. They hold up nicely.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have a King aluminum cog and after one ride it had visible dents in the teeth from the chain and I am old and light.

US Soccer
    Yeah I want one of ISAR's cogs but he never responded to my question on which will work for my bike. Dawes Deadeye.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by MyName1sMud
    Yeah I want one of ISAR's cogs but he never responded to my question on which will work for my bike. Dawes Deadeye.
    Don't expect him to do your research for you. I suppose you want him to fit it as well?

Take the cog off your bike and have a look at it ffs. Splined cogs are a standard fit in any case. If the splines on your cog look like this (and I'll put money on it) then it'll fit.

I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks everyone, I was looking at the stainless. I would never think of using an aluminum rear cog.

US Soccer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    I suppose you want him to fit it as well?
    Yes?

nothing to see here
    Yes?
    Well I suppose for the right price, he might. How fat is your wallet?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Kicker of Elves
    The deadEye uses a standard splined cog as steveob suggested

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Chain ring

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    what's your budget? you can get cheap stamped steel ones for like $5 each or you can spend over a couple hundred dollars on singlestar's ti cogs. And anywhere in between.
    Hi iam wanting a 20 tooth chain ring for my 29er, 4 bolt currenly running a 22t race face, can you sell me 1 please, Terry.

US Soccer
    Quote Originally Posted by 120
    The deadEye uses a standard splined cog as steveob suggested
    Thanks!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    How did you try to get ahold of me? If you use the link in my sig or use the contact us link on my site, i would have replied.

US Soccer
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    How did you try to get ahold of me? If you use the link in my sig or use the contact us link on my site, i would have replied.
    via PM here.

The Angry Singlespeeder

Homebrewed

Dan is the man. He came through in a pinch for me the morning of my race at Sagebrush Safari. I needed a 21 tooth cog and he had this stainless beauty ready to go. It performed flawlessly in one of the muddiest races I've ever competed in (East Coast racing included). Support the little guy and buy from Dan. His quality and attention to detail is second to none.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which cogs to buy-santacruzcx-002.jpg  

Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

Members who have read this thread: 0