cogs...- Mtbr.com

Thread: cogs...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

cogs...

Asthetically, I love some of the high-end cogs, be it the surly w/ the holes or the boone ti.....

I run a $5 BMX cog on my SS conversion. W/ that cog, a Bonty SS crankset & a SRAM PC-1 chain I can go tensioner-free.

The chain is getting loose so it is time to assess my drivetrain, and I wonder, is there any real advantage to a bling cog?

TIA!~
    ....::::::::: WeRideBikes:::::::::....

My Ass is My Pilot
    Sure is.The big Diff is they Should not dig up your Freehub body.If you take your cog off you might see damage.You can just take a file to the really bad burs and get rid of them.Then you can start over with a Boone,Surly,King(my fav)or KickAss.All will work with great success.Try a new chain as well.The KMC 810 is a 1/2x3/32 but its thick like a 1/2x1/8 with out being TO thick.They just came out with a SL version but I cant seem to find it.Check out webcyclery.com we have what ever you need IN STOCK.
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    ...The chain is getting loose so it is time to assess my drivetrain, and I wonder, is there any real advantage to a bling cog?

TIA!~
    If you have a steel FH body, no.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

My Ass is My Pilot
    Come on SHigg.Any hub is going to damage from the entry level cogs,you know that and why are you not at BC?
    Ride With B.O.S/S

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    One thing I noticed with larger-toothed skinny based cogs (such as my 20T Novatech) is that I think it flexes. It's a relatively thick-bodied steel cog, so I'm wary that my skinny legs are enough to flex it, but I think it gets cockeyed a little at the base so that the cog isn't on a flat plane momentarily when I'm really torquing down on the pedals. I even derailled the chain a couple of times, but mostly it's a really loud pop or bang as the chain tries to climb over a tooth. When I swapped cogs for a King Cog, no noise. BTW, this was on my Nashbar singlespeed, steel freehubbed hub with a straight chainline.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

My Ass is My Pilot
    See thats why Some times it pays to pay a little more for a better Q peice of equipment.Or for spellcheck sorry...
    Ride With B.O.S/S

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've got a superlight pair of wheels built on DTswiss240 hubs... my SRAM pg-970 casette trashed the FHbody from less than 400 miles (including a 24hr solo).

Point being, I hear you about the FH body, but at this point I probably will need a new one sometime this summer anyway.

I'm pretty impressed w/ the Surly cog, might have to swap one in ASAP.
    thanks guys!
    ....::::::::: WeRideBikes:::::::::....

Members who have read this thread: 0