Which cogs? $$- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which cogs? $$

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Which cogs? $$

I have Surly cogs now....a 17, 19, and 21. I have the 21 on my fatbike and the 19 on my 29er.

At $30 a piece they're a bit much.

Any recommendations for a decent cog that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

mtbr member
    I'm no expert but, from what I've seen, anything cheaper than $25 or so is going to be a thin, stamped steel cog. While that may work for you, I've read that they are tough on aluminum freehub bodies due to high forces being applied to such a small part of the freehub.

All the wider cogs (Niner, Surly, Chris King, Absolutely Black, etc.) seem to be right in that $30-$40 range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Gusset and On One have been the cheapest wide base cogs I've seen. I've never used either though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Halo makes a wide-ass version as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I'm no expert but, from what I've seen, anything cheaper than $25 or so is going to be a thin, stamped steel cog. While that may work for you, I've read that they are tough on aluminum freehub bodies due to high forces being applied to such a small part of the freehub.

All the wider cogs (Niner, Surly, Chris King, Absolutely Black, etc.) seem to be right in that $30-$40 range.
    At least there are options, I suppose!

I've had good luck with On One Groove Armada. Bought them a couple of years ago for $12, but gone up since then.

On-One Groove Armada Single Speed Sprocket | Planet X

But I usually stick to either Surly or Endless cogs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not cheap but I love Endless cogs.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    A friend of mine said he put over 10000 miles on a Chris King cog. Surly is what I have and I am sure it would last forever as well. When they aren't wearing out that fast why worry about $30? Just curious

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I've had good luck with On One Groove Armada. ...
    Me too.
    Good wide base steel cogs.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

WillWorkForTrail
    I saw an Origin-8 cog the other day with a pretty wide base on it. It looks like it uses a wider base offset to one side to help with chain line. It might be worth a look, it's probably pretty cheap.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    It looks like it uses a wider base offset to one side to help with chain line.
    Others do that too. My On Ones are like that.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Others do that too. My On Ones are like that.
    Surly cogs do as well.

Offset design is actually the reason why I like Endless better (non-offset). I can dial in my chainline pretty well with spacers. When it comes time to flip the cog, it's less hassle. Not a huge deal, but nice...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    When they aren't wearing out that fast why worry about $30? Just curious
    That's a great point...and something a novice singlespeeder doesn't know
    I guess it's hard too, when you're trying to narrow down the right size. I have Surly's in 17, 19, and 21. So I suppose I'll stick with what I have for now.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Offset design is actually the reason why I like Endless better (non-offset). I can dial in my chainline pretty well with spacers. ... ...
    I have a set of different quite narrow spacers (came with Hope hub). Reshuffling the spacers a little will give good chainline with any cog.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Problem Solvers
    Could always go the problem solvers route.

At recovery bike shop on central in Minneapolis they have the Origin8 wide bases on sale 40% off last time I was there on Monday 8/10.

Origin8 Also makes a version like Problem Solvers I think the inital setup is about $30 but then it's a simple game of "refills."
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around $30 being "expensive". My cogs last longer than my tires, and my tires are $50+ each.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Well, that's kind of apples and oranges, really, as they do different things.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Endless is the only way to go for me. I've ran Surly and Niner also. Endless outlasts and looks better than both by a large margin for me. I also run a 10 speed chain.

mtbr member
    Search for bikedomeworks on the 'bay.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MoE79 View Post
    Endless is the only way to go for me. I've ran Surly and Niner also. Endless outlasts and looks better than both by a large margin for me. I also run a 10 speed chain.
    Endless ALUMINUM cogs outlasted your steel cogs? I think you may be doing it wrong...

I am not bashing the Endless rings in anyway; they work really well and are super light if that is what you desire but you will not get nearly the life out of an aluminum cog that you will a nice hard steel one.

In my experience the longest lasting cog ever was one of the cheapest; a simple shimano DX bmx cog. it lasted for years. if they made them over 18t i'd run them exclusively. no frills but tough as F#CK.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I notice most are ~4mm wide, however Halo and Gusset's are 7mm.

What is wide enough? I'm guessing 4 mm, but why does Halo etc. make them almost double if not needed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Niner Cog I have is aluminum. And yes, the Endless outlasts it bigtime. The Surly cog is steel and it's life was limited by looking like crap compared to the other options. It's life was ended by bad looks. LOL! I'm not sure how many miles I have on my endless cogs, but I've been riding them for a couple years and they are just now showing a little wear. As others have said, they aren't offset, so you can easily flip them around and start working on them in the other direction if you desire.