Cog that won't damage hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Cog that won't damage hub

My SS bike has an older set of wheels on it but since I've been riding it a lot more then my FS bike I was thinking about swapping the wheels for a bit. The wheels are BWW Pure XCR's which have an aluminum freehub. I don't want to damage it. I use a PG-990 cassette which has an aluminum carrier. Will the steel cog that came in my DMR SS kit mess it up? Or is there a better cog to buy?

mtbr member
    If it has a wide base it should be ok. I use Endless cogs on all my aluminum freehubs and they are as new!
    Although Endless cogs are aluminum they wear like iron. My current 20t is on it's 3rd year!

AZ
    banned
    Wide based cogs , Surley , King , ISAR .I'm sure there are others that I havent listed . Steel or stainless steel for long lasting performance .

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    I like the Surly. Wide base, super-long wearing, speed holes pre-drilled in it to boot!
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    On-One groove armada.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    there is no way you can change yhe freehub out for a Ti one? or maybe just steel?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    there is no way you can change the freehub out for a Ti one? or maybe just steel?
    Last edited by nuck_chorris; 12-01-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    I am absolutely SOLD on the Endless Cogs.

I had been riding a Surly steel cog until I noticed some damage to the splines of my hub from a looser fit. The damage was caught soon enough to possibly allow me to use this wheelset through most of next season, but it sure did upset me.

I purchased a Endless Cog and upon fitting it, found it to be tight fitting and with very little to no play between the splines. It was then that the light in my head went on and I understood why they tout this cog as "Kick-Ass". As for wear, I raced Fools Gold on my 23t this year and the cog looks good as new! I will be ordering a few more of them for next season as my lame soft-aluminum Niner Cogs start to wear away...

Cheers to Endless Bike Co!
    Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind...Dr Seuss.

AZ
    banned
    endless????????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cog that won't damage hub-kickedasscog.jpg  

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean
    I had been riding a Surly steel cog until I noticed some damage to the splines of my hub from a looser fit. The damage was caught soon enough to possibly allow me to use this wheelset through most of next season, but it sure did upset me.
    If there is any room between the cog and carrier spline, I have seen spacers made from flattened out carpenter staples (the better shiny metal style). The staples are squared off and slide easily in between some cogs and carriers. I couldn't find the post, but it even gave staple widths by gauge. Very cool.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Endless cogs...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    endless????????
    You know, I can post a few pictures of broken frames by Scott or Giant or Trek for that matter and have the same effect of indirectly bashing a product and company.

"Everybody loves it when you come in and baselessly blow the sh!t out of a product."

Usually munched teeth are based on improper setup and usage. The damage you are showing is more than likely based on excessive chain stretch and zero maintenance to your drivetrain. Other factors would involve how many seasons you were mashing on this gear as well as how heavy you were when jamming this particular gear...in other words, this damage didn't happen without some major forces acting upon it...

As a welder, you should definitely know that all metal has a breaking point...

Cheers!
    Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind...Dr Seuss.

bikexor
    thats the first thing i thought of too... from the worn-out cogs thread a few days ago.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean
    You know, I can post a few pictures of broken frames by Scott or Giant or Trek for that matter and have the same effect of indirectly bashing a product and company.

"Everybody loves it when you come in and baselessly blow the sh!t out of a product."

Usually munched teeth are based on improper setup and usage. The damage you are showing is more than likely based on excessive chain stretch and zero maintenance to your drivetrain. Other factors would involve how many seasons you were mashing on this gear as well as how heavy you were when jamming this particular gear...in other words, this damage didn't happen without some major forces acting upon it...

As a welder, you should definitely know that all metal has a breaking point...

Cheers!
    No signs of erosion in the base material , just a weak suck design , I dont need weak , soft materials in cogs .

Retro Grouch
    No signs of erosion in the base material , just a weak suck design , I dont need weak , soft materials in cogs .
    I'm going to have to agree with AZ.MTNS on this one. No way 7075 aluminium should wear and bend like that; I'm guessing a break down in the heat treating.

mtbr member
    ~meh~

Retro Grouch
    This is a trick that will allow any cog on an aluminium carrier; <a href="http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54146&hilit=staple"> Check it out </a>
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have run 3 different cogs all with good results.

surly - 4.35mm base
    Misfit psycles cod cog - 6.35mm base (made of 7075 Al)
    endless cog - 6.35mm base (made of 7075 Al)

trail rat
    endless????????
    Awesome dude! You must have massive quads?

Years ago (before the internet, when it was newsprint mailed to me), Velonews did a "Tree Trunks of the Month" photo.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    This is a trick that will allow any cog on an aluminium carrier; <a href="http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54146&hilit=staple"> Check it out </a>
    interesting little hack...i may have to try this one in the future...

Thanks for sharing...

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Looks like soft metal on that endless cog.

Members who have read this thread: 1