cog ratio for a newbie- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cog ratio for a newbie

I'm going to be building up my old hard tail, the front ring I'm going to use is coming off an old crank. It is a 32 tooth, what you all suggest in back?
    I was going to go with the "Flashpoint single speed cog hub" that is all over eBay. $10 looks like it should work. Either 16 or 18 tooth. I was thinking 16 so I could have some speed on the flats.
    Thanks.

Bikes not Bombs.....

Sounds reasonable...

If you have a cassette on the bike at this time. You might consider running just one gear at a time to see which cog best matches with your riding style nd the types of hills in your area.

Then order what cog you need.

Just some average advice

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

headset and no casset

I don't have a casset on it right now. It is pretty bare bones, Just a frame and a crank. I need to put a headset on it. I'm thinking about upgrading to a CK for my SC SL, and putting back my '96 aheadset back on to the single speed where it started from.

Out spokin'
    What kind of terrain do you ride? If it's just hilly, then the 32x16 might be okay. But if it's mountainous, you might be happier with the 18t cog on the rear. Personally, I ride in terrain that's pretty rugged and I usually run 34x20 which is approximately the same as a 32x19. But if you're strong and you've got a lot of flat terrain, go ahead with the 2:1 ratio. That's what I run when I'm doing something mellow like the McKenzie River Trail.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by piercebrew
    I don't have a casset on it right now. It is pretty bare bones, Just a frame and a crank. I need to put a headset on it. I'm thinking about upgrading to a CK for my SC SL, and putting back my '96 aheadset back on to the single speed where it started from.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator

Learn from others mistakes

Purchased a flashpoint kit and used it for a while, can't complain about it. The thing is that the cog is a bmx cog and can only be used with bmx or 7sp chains. I used it with a very used SRAM PC99 chain and worked until the chain was replaced and that's when I had to purchase a cog compatible with a 9sp chain.

Page FastFreddy if you're interested on 1 or the 3 cog set (16,18,20), his pricing is excellent.