cog ratio changes question- Mtbr.com
    WNC Native

cog ratio changes question

How often do you guys ever make a one tooth change?
    I normally run 20T, however I'm going to stock up on cogs. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get each tooth increment or just get every two teeth increment cogs?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    How often do you guys ever make a one tooth change?
    Usually I'm too lazy to change cogs.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get each tooth increment or just get every two teeth increment cogs?
    To me, 1 tooth makes a very noticeable difference.
    Ride more!

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude
    To me, 1 tooth makes a very noticeable difference.
    That's part of what I was wandering, I've only ever ridden 18 & 20.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    I notice a one-tooth difference for sure. That said, I almost never change cogs... I geared up for SSWC and have been too lazy to change it back out. I went out and bought a bunch of different cogs in one-tooth increments, but I've only ever used two of 'em. Don't spend too much cash on a bunch - I did.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

conjoinicorned
    it's fun to have a cog collection, i started with 2 teeth increments and slowly collect the middle cogs. i end up changing them a lot on the roadie, but didn't even touch the MTB gearing this season.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Stayin' Puft
    I tend to keep different setups on different bikes, for 29er MTB's my primaries are:

32x18 - good around the neighborhood, if dirt roads are involved and some more rolling trails.

32x19 - can ride this pretty much anywhere but it is going to really hurt on the steep stuff

32x20 - good for the steep stuff around CO front range, if I can't ride it with this I am walking anyway. Sort of a bummer on flats and pavement.

So the 1-tooths make a difference to me. Lately though also with investing in a couple WI Freewheel on Surly hub setups, I have been more manipulating the front ring size instead and keeping the rear at a 20t. Freewheels are more of a hassle to remove and the WI ones are pricey.

The other thing is considering resulting chainstay lengths. On my Jabber frame for example, 32x19 can result in a relatively short stay with the wheel all the way forward you can barely fit it. If I go to 32x20, that requires adding a chain link so a one-tooth cog change becomes more of a hassle with swapping chains or messing with adding links.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Once I determined the best gear for my trails and riding ability, I never change it regardless of where I end up riding. That way I always know what to expect when I stomp on the pedals.

Members who have read this thread: 0