Cog for ENO hub- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cog for ENO hub

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Cog for ENO hub

Hi yall,
    I am about to buy an ENO hub to run as a fized on my old stumpjumper
    but i need to know what kind of cog I need for it, I am assuming that I need a thread on (like this http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=402&page=1) but I am not sure and I cant find out anywhere
    Can you guys help me?
    Also if this is the right kind of cog, is this one the one I should go for? I can't seem to find any others.
    Thanks for your help!

Combat Wombat

I think you want a freewheel.

Unless you plan to run your Stump as a fixie, this is what you are looking for.

http://www.webcyclery.com/home.php?cat=424

Brian

Combat Wombat

A closer look at original post...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    Unless you plan to run your Stump as a fixie, this is what you are looking for.

http://www.webcyclery.com/home.php?cat=424

Brian
    I guess fized is a typo for fixie? I run a ENO hub, but have no experience with running it fixed. Sorry.

Brian

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    fized, fixed.....meh!
    yeah it is gunna be fixed

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Another question is what size hub will I need, or can you tell me from what to what to measure?

mtbr member

135mm

for mountain bikes. You can also buy just about any track cog and a lockring. Surly is pretty economical. Dura-Ace are really nice. There are others out there too.

mtbr member

don't

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRagged
    Another question is what size hub will I need, or can you tell me from what to what to measure?
    Don't use a Surly cog unless you want to stip your hub's threads. Use a White Ind or a Dura Ace, etc. Anything but a Surly one.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Don't use a Surly cog unless you want to stip your hub's threads. Use a White Ind or a Dura Ace, etc. Anything but a Surly one.
    I'll second that. I had a Surly cog strip the threads and pull right off the hub, lockring and all, not the most fun I've had at the Watershed.

DT

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thanks for the info guys
    I need to buy the ENO eccentric hub, which is a flip-flop hub, so I might as well run the track hub on the fixed gear side right? Or does it not matter?
    Are the two sides the same? Like so you can run one freewheel and a fixed on the other side?

King Pin

Good job!

The "fixed" side will have two sets of threads, a righty and a lefty. Screw the cog on (with grease) and then a proper locking ring (DuraAce works well) with LEFT HAND threads will secure the cog. Put yur freewheel on the other side.

My "fixie guru's" (Rudi and Matt Chester) use EAI (EuroAmericanIndustries) cogs exclusively. I have both EAI and DuraAce, and have had no troubles with either. "BensBike" on Ebay has EAI cogs and DA lockrings for a good price....your dealer can order 'em from Quality, but they have been out of stock there for a good long time! Find a nice Hozan lockring wrench as well, you'll use it often, particularly when you get your ENO cranks!

thanks for the info guys
    I need to buy the ENO eccentric hub, which is a flip-flop hub, so I might as well run the track hub on the fixed gear side right? Or does it not matter?
    Are the two sides the same? Like so you can run one freewheel and a fixed on the other side?
    Last edited by xrmattaz; 06-24-2005 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    The "fixed" side will have two sets of threads, a righty and a lefty. Screw the cog on (with grease) and then a proper locking ring (DuraAce works well) with LEFT HAND threads will secure the cog. Put yur freewheel on the other side.

My "fixie guru's" (Rudi and Matt Chester) use EAI (EuroAmericanIndustries) cogs exclusively. I have both EAI and DuraAce, and have had no troubles with either. "BensBike" on Ebay has EAI cogs and DA lockrings for a good price....your dealer can order 'em from Quality, but they have been out of stock there for a good long time! Find a nice Hozan lockring wrench as well, you'll use it often, particularly when you get your ENO cranks!
    awesome, thanks
    more information like this please!
    I need to know all I can before I dive into buying parts

King Pin

Listen! Scorchin'

Here's a pic of the Surly hub flip/flop....fixie/free. Note the different threads on the left side there? Your ENO hub will look the same....don't put a freewheel on the fixie side!! Not enough threadage to engage the FW properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    is the larger part for the cog and the smaller for the lockring?

King Pin

Good job!

You'll thread the EAI fixie cog on the "larger part", and then the lockring on the
    "smaller part"......yep!

Fixie hubs are so cool! Righty and lefty.

You'll try to spin the cog off whilst backpedalling and such, but the left threaded lockring will just get tighter!

Beautiful world.

is the larger part for the cog and the smaller for the lockring?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    okay, sorry to bring this up again, just didn't want to start a new thread
    So I built up my stumpjumper with the ENO hub, running it fixed and it's sweet!
    but I have some questions
    first of all when I backpedal, the cog shifts on the hub, then when I pedal forword, it shifts back, does that mean I need to tighten the lockring more?
    also should I loctite the lockring on? would that help?
    lastly, I'm having a real hard time adjusting the hub and keeping it sitting flush in the dropout. It seems like to get the proper tension, I have to let the hub sit just short of fully in the dropout. Is this okay? supposed to happen? does it mean I need a longer chain?
    thanks in advance for the help
    I'll post pics once I get the surly fork put on

mtbr member
    first of all when I backpedal, the cog shifts on the hub, then when I pedal forword, it shifts back, does that mean I need to tighten the lockring more? also should I loctite the lockring on? would that help?
    Cog should not shift, if it is, the lock ring is not holding it in place. What make of cog & lock ring are you using? Some combinations don't allow the lockring to thread in far enough to hold the cog. Also, there is often a tiny bit of back pedal play due to the chain tension and chain-teeth interface.

I'm having a real hard time adjusting the hub and keeping it sitting flush in the dropout. It seems like to get the proper tension, I have to let the hub sit just short of fully in the dropout. Is this okay? supposed to happen? does it mean I need a longer chain?
    Did you get the eccentric version of the ENO? If so, it should sit completely in the dropout, add a link until you can do this. If you can't get good chain tension, changing the cog or chainring by a tooth or 2 usually gets you there. If it is not an eccentric hub, call up White Ind and ask for the conversion kit.

Cheers,

Tom

"Mr. Britannica"
    first of all when I backpedal, the cog shifts on the hub, then when I pedal forword, it shifts back, does that mean I need to tighten the lockring more?
    lastly, I'm having a real hard time adjusting the hub and keeping it sitting flush in the dropout. It seems like to get the proper tension, I have to let the hub sit just short of fully in the dropout. Is this okay? supposed to happen? does it mean I need a longer chain?

is the cog truly moving/unscrewing or are you just feeling the chain move on the teeth? or is it a chain tension thing?

King Pin

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Go ride up a nice steep hill, stand up and mash hard....stop the bike without backpedalling (!!!!!!) and tighten up the lockring. You do have the proper tool, eh?

I'm also hoping it's just the chain your feeling! Snug it up just a bit more, but not TOO tight.

dutchie
    Jan 2004
    Go ride up a nice steep hill, stand up and mash hard....stop the bike without backpedalling (!!!!!!) and tighten up the lockring. You do have the proper tool, eh?

I'm also hoping it's just the chain your feeling! Snug it up just a bit more, but not TOO tight.

Second xrmattaz advice. You cannot crank your cog down hard enough with your hands/arm, during riding it will tighten even more then you thought was possible. I had to tighten the lockring after my first ride. No big deal, just something you need to look after and keep eye out for, while you are growning more attached to your fixie. Make it a routine to check it once in a while and be a happy fixie rider (and keep your hub from stripping out).

Something else to could be a potential problemsource for the shifting is the cranks. I'm not sure what you are running but here my experience.

I run a set of 952 XTR cranks on my cylocross/roadbike. I changed out the standard ring/spider combo of the cranks for a TA spider (which gave me a wider choice in rings to run). I found out that due to the backward and forward forces that happen while riding fixed the spider shifted forward and backward. Remedy was to crank it down just like the lockring.

Also chainrings, especially used one can cause some shifting. I ran a used ring while waiting for my new one and this caused some minor shitfing back and forward also.

Hope you can narrow it down, but I think that when you tighten the lockring everything will be OK.

cheers, richard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thanx for the help guys
    sure enough, I just rode it around for a while and eventually it stopped, still should tighten the lockring some more though
    and I think Im gonna get a half link, cuz when I add a link I just barely have a little too much slack in the chain

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ...Use a White Ind or a Dura Ace, etc...
    would love to use a White Ind cog but according to Lynette they will not be available for a several months. Stop teasing us with your insider perks!

Phil does have some out now but they're only 3/32"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

looks like I just stripped my cog... second day...
    so I'll prob order an EAI
    on ebay, bensbike says its EuroAsiaImports is that the same as what ur talking about or is it a cheap rip off (I've learned my lesson, no more cheap cogs)

King Pin

Good job! You got it!

That's the correct cog! I knew Euro*American*Imports didn't sound right as I typed it....Bensbike has the correct one. Buy it!

looks like I just stripped my cog... second day...
    so I'll prob order an EAI
    on ebay, bensbike says its EuroAsiaImports is that the same as what ur talking about or is it a cheap rip off (I've learned my lesson, no more cheap cogs)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    That's the correct cog! I knew Euro*American*Imports didn't sound right as I typed it....Bensbike has the correct one. Buy it!
    too late, bought an acs freewheel, put the brakes back on, running it ss... oh well

King Pin

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

You didn't strip the fixie threads on the ENO, now did ya??

too late, bought an acs freewheel, put the brakes back on, running it ss... oh well

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You didn't strip the fixie threads on the ENO, now did ya??
    might have, too scared to even look
    but its alright, I think I prefer being able to coast