Cog Choices- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cog Choices

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Cog Choices

I want to try an 18t cog but my budget is tight. I currently have a surly 3/32 22t. Would this one be compatible?

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Singl...e-Sprocket/dp/

Also, are chain whips and lockring removal tools all the same? Is there anything I should look out for?

The perfessor
    Also, are chain whips and lockring removal tools all the same? Is there anything I should look out for?[/QUOTE]

- nope: chain whips are all the same but lockring removal can sometimes differ slightly....got about 3 different ones in my tool box but only use the shimano removal tool......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The lock ring removal tool is just a hex nut to remove the cap holding the cassette. To do that, you need a chain whip to hold the cassette from turning while you are turning the lock ring removal nut. You need two tools to remove the cassette.

western NC
    Your Amazon link doesn't work. For a SS cog, you want a nice wide base. If that link is what I think it is from the name, that's a single sprocket from a cassette and will be too narrow and gouge up your freehub. Surly and Q2 cogs are what I run, they're about $25.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you have a steel freehub (e.g. Shimano, most stock hubs) you can use a $6 thin stamped cog without damaging your hub. You only need a wide base cog if you have a lightweight aluminum freehub.

If you are experimenting with different gears, you can get a few $6 cogs and figure out which works best for you. Once you pick a favorite size, it may be worth getting a nice wide-based cog. Every time I look at the expensive cogs on my shelf that I never use...

mtbr member
    Find a Gusset 1'er cog. They cost about $5, are SS specific, and work fine. I keep a run of their sizes in my toolbag just in case I need to switch. Cheap and effective.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Find a Gusset 1'er cog. They cost about $5, are SS specific, and work fine. I keep a run of their sizes in my toolbag just in case I need to switch. Cheap and effective.
    Thank you kindly!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WillTheGreat View Post
    If you have a steel freehub (e.g. Shimano, most stock hubs) you can use a $6 thin stamped cog without damaging your hub. You only need a wide base cog if you have a lightweight aluminum freehub.

If you are experimenting with different gears, you can get a few $6 cogs and figure out which works best for you. Once you pick a favorite size, it may be worth getting a nice wide-based cog. Every time I look at the expensive cogs on my shelf that I never use...
    I'm not sure what kind of hub I have, the brand is woodman. Would a pic help?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    longest wearing cog i have ever used:
    Shimano MX66 BMX Single Cassette Cogs > Components > Drivetrain > Single Speed Cogs | Jenson USA

wide based cogs only matter if you have an aluminum freehub body.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JC88 View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of hub I have, the brand is woodman. Would a pic help?
    Do you have the Woodman Bill Single Speed hub? It has a steel freehub.

Gigantic Hawk
    Save up and buy a Lunar Cog. You can change the steel cog out without taking the lock ring off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    Shimano MX66 BMX Single Cassette Cogs > Components > Drivetrain > Single Speed Cogs | Jenson USA

that is the exact one that I was trying to link. I'm going to go with that one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post

I'm not sure. It was on the bike when I bought it. I think I'll go with the shimano mx66

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JC88 View Post
    I think I'll go with the shimano mx66
    i don't know what shimano does but those cogs last forever. they are also super smooth. there are way flashier and lighter cogs but i can't think of one that works better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Never tried those Shimano ones linked, but love my Surly's. No problems on my aluminum DT freehub.